Daily Devotional for October 11, 2013

Proverbs 4:5-9
Get wisdom; develop good judgment.
    Don’t forget my words or turn away from them.
Don’t turn your back on wisdom, for she will protect you.
    Love her, and she will guard you.
Getting wisdom is the wisest thing you can do!
    And whatever else you do, develop good judgment.
If you prize wisdom, she will make you great.
    Embrace her, and she will honor you.
She will place a lovely wreath on your head;
    she will present you with a beautiful crown.”

 
Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
 
In the last few weeks, I have learned several new things.  While they may not appear to be significant to many…for me, they are somewhat life-changing (okay, let’s say “life-improving”).  I bought a gizmo that helps me make crisp cut-outs and embellishments for greeting cards and more, and I have already used it to create several things. I was introduced to a serger… a sewing machine of sorts that creates neat, finished edges to seams – and does many other utilitarian and decorative edgings.  The serger has already enabled me to make garments quicker, more easily… and to use certain specialty stitches to help out a friend with a time consuming, and difficult project.  The belt on my vacuum cleaner motor wore out and became loose.  I did some online research and learned that I could fix this myself… and I did!
Through research for these devotionals and a lot of Bible study, scripture comparisons, and reviews of dozens of Bible commentaries, I have not only learned more about how to study the Bible in-depth, but my understanding of scripture – and my Christian faith – have increased tremendously over the last decade.

 
I was recently visiting with Dot, the mother of my childhood friend, Martha, and she was telling me about the Bible study she participates in each week - and other Bible studies she has enjoyed through the years.  Dot is also taking a class at our church called “Alpha”, which introduces one to the basics of Christianity.  She is continually learning about God and her Christian faith on a weekly – if not daily – basis. Did I mention that this woman is 88 years young? She has taught Sunday School classes, Bible studies…and she was even my Girl Scout leader. Still, she is eager to gain wisdom about many things.
 
The point is that we are never too old to learn… especially when it comes to God and increasing our faith.  More importantly, we are commanded to do this!  I have known far too many Christians who invited Jesus to live in their heart… then stopped at this point.  Becoming a Christian is not the end… it’s the beginning!  Sadly, too many Christians – and churches – stop at winning others to Jesus.  They fail to nurture these new believers and encourage them to increase in wisdom and judgment. We all need to do better in this area!
 
Just as many students decide that graduation from high school, college…or obtaining an advanced degree is enough…we are often guilty of deciding that choosing Jesus is sufficient.  In truth, each one of us can always learn something knew… and God is calling us to learn all we can from Him.  The choice is ours… we can stay stationary and grow stale – in life and in our faith – or we can embrace God’s wisdom and the opportunities that exist all around us to expand our mind and heart.  Incredible blessings result from these experiences… even if it’s the satisfaction of knowing you fixed your vacuum cleaner or created a pretty greeting card!
 
More importantly, the blessings that await us when we further our knowledge of God’s love for us - and how He is working in our lives - are immeasurable… and make life for the Christian so much more abundant.  Why not get busy seeking wisdom today?  You have so little to lose… and so very much to gain!
 
©2013 Debbie Robus

No comments: