Daily Devotional for October 14, 2013

Psalm 139:7-12
Is there anyplace I can go to avoid your Spirit?
    to be out of your sight?
If I climb to the sky, you’re there!
    If I go underground, you’re there!
If I flew on morning’s wings
    to the far western horizon,
You’d find me in a minute—
    you’re already there waiting!
Then I said to myself, “Oh, he even sees me in the dark!
    At night I’m immersed in the light!”
It’s a fact: darkness isn’t dark to you;
    night and day, darkness and light, they’re all the same to you.

 
Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.
 
As we drove to Burger King after church on Sunday, Zola kept trying to tell me something.  Over and over she would point toward her feet and say the same thing… but I didn’t have a clue what she wanted.  Finally, I asked Timothy, “Do you know what Zola is trying to tell me?” He replied, “Um… yes”… and he interpreted her comments.  I repeated Timothy’s statement to Zola and asked if that was correct.  She nodded and said, “Yeah!”
 
This little girl may never choose to talk, as long as she has her older brother around to interpret for her!  And honestly, I think she somewhat depends on him… for a lot of things!  He pretty well seems to know what she is thinking in any given moment… and you can bet your bottom dollar he knows where she is and what she is doing… if nothing else, on the off chance she might be playing with his toys – or getting a little extra attention!  Still, she chooses to follow him around much of the time and mimic his every word and move.
 
As I read this scripture passage, I also thought about the other end of the spectrum… my grandmother’s last weeks on this earth, in which she often could not form a complete sentence – or even a few words.  I had grown so familiar with her that I often was able to interpret her thoughts and gestures… and her nods of agreement would confirm that I had guessed correctly.  She depended on me to express her wishes… and to protect her.  She chose to have me speak for her on several occasions… even when she was still able to talk.  She would wave at a doctor and gesture toward me and say, “You tell him.”  Or she would tell the doctors and nurses… “Ask Debbie… she can tell you.” My Mam-ma Polly knew that I always had her back.
 
I find it nothing short of amazing that God has chosen you and me… that He desires to know every breath we take and how many hairs number our head.  I am astounded to think that Jesus collects my tears… each one precious to Him.  I cannot comprehend the vastness of knowing that there is nowhere I can go that He is not with me... or that He knows my every thought and desire.  And I am blessed and comforted by this knowledge… so much that I choose to serve Him in return. Honestly, it doesn’t add up for me why anyone would opt for a life without Him.  Who else loves you that much?!  Still, we do have a choice… and God will never desert us… but He will also never impose.
 
What place have you given Him in your life?  Have you tucked God away on the shelf and pretended He isn’t there?  Have you even suggested to Him that you are doing just fine without His help?  Do you truly understand the depths of God’s love and care for you… how much He wants to give you – now and for all eternity?  Won’t you study this Psalm again and give your relationship with God a second look as well?  Aren’t you ready to choose the One who chose you all along?
 
©2013 Debbie Robus

No comments: