Daily Devotional for October 7, 2013

Proverbs 16:19
You are better off to be humble and poor than to get rich from what you take by force.
 
Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.
 
I have spent most of the day trying to figure out what to share with you in this devotional.  This was not an especially busy day for me.  When I awoke this morning, I knew that I had plenty of time to do a few household chores, write this devotional – and even squeeze in a workout before dinner time.   This morning, two friends telephoned to visit with me – one delivered some sad news, and the other was checking on a mutual acquaintance.  Both calls were important.  Then another friend called to discuss a sewing project on which she was working and to seek some advice.  That was important also.  AND…I phoned my mother to share the sad news that one of the friends had delivered earlier…per her request.
 
In all, a lot of my morning was spent on the telephone.  I decided to “park” this scripture and get in a workout.  Greg was delivering Meals on Wheels, as he does each Monday.  He returned before I finished exercising and said, “It’s such a beautiful day… I was hoping we could go for a bike ride.”  My friend with the sewing project was due to visit later in the afternoon so that I could help her.  I told Greg that it shouldn’t take long to do the sewing, and we could ride afterward… and we did.  What a beautiful afternoon we shared… bright, sunny skies and cool, crisp fall air.  We returned home just before time for dinner.
 
After we ate, Greg went to his office to watch a ballgame, and I was going to work on this devotional.  My friend called… her sewing project was not going well.  She had difficulties that I could not “talk her through” over the phone, so I insisted she drive back to our house, so that I could help her finish the project.  As she drove away from our house, I thought… “Here’s my devotional!”
 
See, the “richest” part of my day was not what I was able to check off my list.  It was the people with whom I spent time.  Dishes can wait… that television show I might have wanted to watch can be recorded and viewed later (or skipped altogether)…the little “projects” I had hoped to work on today will still be there tomorrow – or next week – but my friends and family wanted and/or needed me today.  Had I stomped my foot or made excuses and said, “I’m not answering the phone again!” or “I will not do another thing with someone else until I check XYZ off of my own list,” I might have missed out on some wonderful blessings.
 
The point is that we are missing out on the riches found in the little things of life, because we are focused on getting ahead or accomplishing as much as possible in as little time as possible.  We truly would be “better off humble and poor” than to have trampled over the feelings of others to get what we want.  To make another feel like your priorities and preferences are more important than his/hers… in even small matters… is the same as getting rich – or getting ahead – by force.  When we choose to stop focusing on our own desires more than the needs of others, we have truly begun to understand what it is to be a disciple of Christ.
 
On any given day, our plans don’t go as we hoped.  Sometimes that is our own doing… other times God is showing us opportunities to serve in His name… or even to receive a blessing that He wants to bestow.  Whether we tap into what God is offering or not is totally up to us.  It’s our choice.  We start by being attuned to His will for our lives…and learning to ask Him, “What do YOU think I should do in this situation?”  When we listen to His lead, we always make the right choice in the end.  The question is… are you listening?  Isn’t it time you were?
 
©2013 Debbie Robus

No comments: