Daily Devotional for October 27, 2013

Romans 12:9-11
Don’t just pretend to love others. Really love them. Hate what is wrong. Hold tightly to what is good. Love each other with genuine affection, and take delight in honoring each other. Never be lazy, but work hard and serve the Lord enthusiastically.
 
Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
 
In case you didn’t know this already, I really, really, REALLY love my little great-niece and nephews, Zola, Timothy and Nathan.  I would do just about anything for them. Yes, I shower them with “things” – clothes, toys, and treats, to name a few.  But I also try to show genuine affection as often as I can… hugs, kisses, snuggles, applause for accomplishments, praise for good behavior… and lots and lots of time spent together doing all sorts of things.  I’ve cooked their meals, changed their diapers, bathed them, rocked them to sleep… and most importantly, I have prayed for them.  Even though they are toddlers and small children, I respect them, so I try to listen to their opinions about which foods they like, their protests at naptime or bedtime, and even their choice of the toys with which they would like to play.
 
But because I love these children so much, I have rules they must follow.  I want them to learn to be strong, morally upright, independent people who respect others… and themselves.  So I insist that they at least help clean up the messes they make… that they don’t splash water out of the tub and all over me… that they don’t spit or throw food…that they use an “inside voice” and don’t yell and scream when we are inside… that they mind me and their Uncle Greg when we ask them to do something…and that they treat others with kindness and respect.  They know that when they disobey these rules, there are consequences… and they are discovering that the consequences are no fun!
 
If I didn’t love and care for Timothy, Zola and Nathan so much, I might ditch the rules and let them have a free-for-all. Or I might just say, “Call me when you are a grown-up” and go my merry way for the next 18 years or so.  I could telephone and send cards occasionally… see them on holidays for an hour or two… and tell everyone how much I love them.  But this would be neither good, nor right.  Real love involves action as much as words… maybe more!  Real love involves respect and reverence for the other guy… and a demonstration of this through genuine affection and honor. And real love requires effort!
 
Our love and respect for God is no different.  We can say we love Him… we can go through the motions and give Him lip service.  But if we don’t show Him genuine affection… if we disrespect and dishonor Him… if we disobey His laws and try to have it our way… we have not really loved Him.  Furthermore, when we treat others in this manner, we have not loved God… because to dishonor, disrespect, and mistreat one of God’s creatures is to do the same to Him.  And the consequences of mistreating God are no fun, either.  When we fail to show God real love, we form a separation between us and Him… we block His blessings and short-change everyone involved.
 
I encourage you to take a long hard look at your life.  Who do you really love…and who do you pretend to love?  Who do you shower with genuine affection and honor… and who do you disrespect and disobey?  Where are you lazy in your efforts to love others?  Where do you need to work harder to demonstrate real love?  Isn’t it time you figured all of this out and started making better choices?  Are you holding tightly to what is good and hating what is wrong...in your relationships with God - and with others? Do you really love God… and others?  Isn’t it time you did?
 
©2013 Debbie Robus

No comments: