Daily Devotional for February 26, 2014

James 1:12
God blesses those who patiently endure testing and temptation. Afterward they will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.
 
Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
 
In the blink of an eye…everything can change.  One minute you can be having the best day…eagerly anticipating the future…and then you step off a ledge, break your ankle and seriously damage your foot.  That happened to me almost seven years ago.  And for the next nine weeks, I was unable to walk without crutches and spent much of that time sitting rather helplessly on the couch or lying in bed. As we sat at our desks one hot summer morning, my mother-in-law called for Greg to come home quickly...his dad had died while sitting in his “easy chair”.  An “ordinary” work day that started with picking peaches and gardening suddenly became a day that would change our lives forever.
 
A relative went to work one day as usual and was told “this is your last day with us.”  In essence, she was fired from a job she had held for nine years – apparently over policy differences.  Another cousin woke one recent morning with a fiery red rash around her mid-section that was later diagnosed as shingles – a painful, itchy, virus that can make one miserable for weeks and months.   We’ve heard news reports more than once of a young athlete who collapsed and died on the football field or basketball court during a scrimmage or actual contest.  I’m sure that no one wakes up on any given morning thinking, “Today I will lose my home – or my family or my life – in a tornado, fire, earthquake or flood.”
 
There are “good” tests, such as marriage, the arrival of a new baby, starting college, or beginning a new job.  And we all know there are plenty of tests that appear to be anything but positive or happy.  Let’s be honest…we are often left asking God, “Why?”  We wonder “Why me?”…”Why now?”...”Why this?”.  Why did God immobilize me with a foot injury just as we were building a new house and there were dozens of decisions to make?  Why does God call our loved ones to heaven and leave us hurting and bewildered?  Why do we experience sudden upheavals - such as a job loss or a debilitating illness - when we have bills to pay, people who are depending on us for a myriad of things, and a ton of things to get done?
 
Why do some people seem to have “Job-sized” troubles?  I am thinking of those who experience multiple losses within the span of a few months…and often endure unexpected personal illness, needed home or vehicle repairs, and more?  We truly are left to wonder “why bad things happen to good people”…and why God allows this!  And the short answer is: I honestly do not know.
 
But here’s the thing.  Every unpleasant – even devastating – experience in my life has brought blessings, strength, and a deeper dependence on God to meet my daily needs.  I can look back at each one of the tests and temptations in my life and enumerate ways that God was caring for me and orchestrating events that bolstered my faith and Christian witness.  And I’ve seen the same thing happen in the lives of others.  If nothing else, these experiences have given me a more tender heart toward others who encounter similar circumstances.  I am able to say with confidence, “You will be just fine.”  I don’t offer this observation callously or without sympathy for what this person is enduring.  I share this out of a deep love and concern…and firsthand knowledge of its truth.
 
Perhaps God is testing you as you read this.  Perhaps you are in a season where life is pretty great and you are “in the zone”!  Whatever lies behind you…and ahead of you…God is with you.  He is equipping you to handle the tests and temptations.  Just as importantly, God will give you opportunities to share compassion and empathy for these circumstances with others who are equally tested and tempted.
 
How will you respond?  This is the real question…because you do have a choice.  You can elect to wallow in self-pity and let the devil drag you down…or you can say, “LORD…I don’t understand, but I trust you completely.  Show me how to use this experience for Your purposes.  Strengthen me and give me courage, comfort and confidence.  Place before me those who need to see how You are helping me through this…the ones who need to be encouraged and ministered to out of my own tests and temptations.”
 
Will this be easy?  Probably not!  I do not mean to imply that God will instantly take your heartaches, grief, and difficulties from you.  But He will walk through them with you…every step of the way…and create opportunities and blessings you never even saw coming.  Will you trust Him to do this?  Are you ready for whatever comes your way because of your strength and faith in the LORD?  Isn’t it time you were?
 
©2014 Debbie Robus

No comments: