Daily Devotional for October 17, 2014

Matthew 10:8
Heal the sick, raise the dead to life, heal people who have leprosy, and force out demons. You received without paying, now give without being paid.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

When you hear the phrase, “I don’t get no respect”...most of us think of comedian Rodney Dangerfield.  This was his “hook” for many years...the words that made him famous.  Dangerfield had a string of “examples” to illustrate how/why he was not respected...

  • ”When I was a kid I got no respect. I worked in a pet store. People kept askin' how big I get. On Halloween, the parents send their kids out looking like me.”
  • “When I answer the door the kids hand me candy.”
In our own lives, there may be areas where we feel we “get no respect”.  We may even cry out to God at times and say, “I have done everything you ask of me...and still, I am disrespected or unappreciated.”  I know I have shared this story countless times, but I once had a kindergarten student whose family was given all kinds of assistance...from both individuals in our school and community - and from the Department of Human Services.  Instead of being grateful and appreciative, the parents continued to misuse the resources given to them – and to disrespect their benefactors at every turn. It was very hard not to rail against them at times and ask, “What on earth is wrong with you?”!

Read Matthew 10:8 again.  Jesus tells us to minister to others – to “heal” them, encourage them, lift them up and support them – and share the Gospel with them.  That’s really what He means when He says “heal the sick, raise the dead to life, heal those with leprosy, and force out demons.”  But what is critically important is his next sentence...”You received without paying, now give without being paid.”
 

I don’t know about you, but this hits me squarely between the eyes!  Jesus did all of these things – and so much more – for you and me without expecting anything in return.  In fact, there is no way we could even begin to repay Him.  So what makes us think that we should expect payment for anything we do in His name?  What right do we have to get upset when we help someone else and they treat us miserably?  Yes, it hurts...sure, it stings when we are disrespected or dishonored.  Of course we are angered when our efforts are demeaned or squandered.  But imagine how Jesus feels...because we do this to Him – all.the.time!

We have to learn to treat Jesus with more respect...we must make a concerted effort to offer Him our sincere praise and appreciation for all that He does for us every second of the day.  Additionally, we have to get over ourselves with regard to those we “heal” in His name.  We have to learn to operate so fully in the joy of serving Jesus that what others do with our offerings truly doesn’t matter to us.  We put it out there...the rest is up to that person.

Be advised...the devil will make sure to needle you every time someone doesn’t respond as you had expected.  He will be front and center to say, “How dare they!”...to make you question yourself, and to doubt your strength in Jesus. Operating above the “fray” won’t come easily...and it surely won’t happen overnight. But we must continue to work toward this goal...to study God’s word and maintain close communication with Him, so that we are strengthened and encouraged to keep trying.

We must accept that there will be a lot of things that we do in this world for which we are never given “credit” or proper respect...and that this is not the goal.  Jesus is the only One whose feelings and opinions truly matter.

I know I have a lot of work to do in this area...but I’m ready to put in the time and effort.  What about you?


©2014 Debbie Robus

No comments: