Daily Devotional for October 2, 2014

Isaiah 61:1
The Spirit of the Lord God
    has taken control of me!
The Lord has chosen and sent me
to tell the oppressed
    the good news,
to heal the brokenhearted,
and to announce freedom
    for prisoners and captives.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.


BibleStudyTools.com defines the word eucharisteo (pronounced yoo-khar-is-teh'-o) as a Greek verb that means “to be grateful, feel thankful, give thanks”.  Author Ann Voskamp used “eucharisteo” as the theme of her book, One Thousand Gifts.  I am reading this book now and discovering how Voskamp found gratitude and thanks – and praised God – in even the smallest of things...”clean sheets smelling like wind...hot oatmeal tasting like home...bare toes in early light*.”

In this context, we can also find eucharisteo...we can learn to be grateful to God for His presence in the seemingly inane moments of our day...as well as those we deem to be “huge”!  In light of this scripture passage from Isaiah, the “eucharisteo” moment came for me when the prophet says, “The Lord has chosen and sent me...”  Commentaries maintain that Isaiah was talking about himself as a prophet...OR that this foretells the words of Jesus in Luke 4:18, which begins...” The Lord’s Spirit has come to me, because he has chosen me...”

I believe that this verse applies to those of us who are Disciples of Christ, as well. I don’t mean to sound arrogant – or to claim that I can literally perform the miracles of Jesus.  But aren’t we called to “tell the oppressed the good news?”  Doesn’t God call on us to minister to others and “heal the brokenhearted?”  Aren’t we commissioned to let others know that freedom is possible from whatever binds them and holds them captive? 

Opportunities for eucharisteo abound for each of us...but do we recognize them?  We say that the Holy Spirit has taken control of us...but do we demonstrate His love and care in our own lives?  If we were more aware of God’s presence in the small things of our day, wouldn’t we live with more purpose and intention?  Do you look for the opportunity to serve as God’s agent as you attend classes, shop for groceries, prepare meals and feed your children, do your job, care for a loved one, or interact with family members and friends? 

I’m not talking about literally preaching the Gospel...reciting scriptures...praying aloud...or other demonstrations we typically consider when we hear the words “witness” or “ministry”.  Your body language and overall attitude and demeanor...whether you smile at others and appear pleasant and approachable...your attention to small details...your level of thoughtfulness - all of these things speak to your character as a Christian.  They represent your “eucharisteo” for all that God has done for you. 

When I reflect on my life, there are times when I wish I had more fully realized my “mission” and demonstrated it to others.  I wish I had more fully recognized the “ministry” in my responsibilities as a teacher of young children and “loved on them” even more in the name of Jesus.  I now realize how profoundly He was there with me, using me to touch these little hearts and minds each day...but oh, how I wish I had recognized my part in this more.  I would have loved a little deeper, held them a little closer, lingered a little longer over their stories, pictures, songs, recitations, giggles and tears.  In short, I would have paid closer attention to the small moments and shared in their savoring and nurture.

For me, this is today’s lesson. God has chosen us to be His...with intention and purpose.  We have a mission to accomplish for Him...to use the power of the Holy Spirit within us to share His good news...to heal the brokenhearted by demonstrating His grace, love, mercy and forgiveness...and to express hope and freedom from the things that bind and enslave us – through salvation in Jesus Christ.  It’s a tall order...but nothing less than what we should expect from the One who honored and blessed us with His choosing.

Where does God want to use you today?  Are you living with intention and purpose...and with “eucharisteo”?  Do you recognize your mission and your ministry?  Are you so caught up in the big picture that you have neglected the smaller things that truly matter?  Will this be the day you begin to change your focus?  Are you ready to slow down, pay closer attention...and give God your very best?  Are you ready to get started?


©2014 Debbie Robus

* One Thousand Gifts ~ ©2010 Ann Morton Voskamp ~ One Zondervan Press ~ www.zondervan.com

No comments: