Daily Devotional for October 3, 2014

James 5:13-16
Is anyone among you suffering? He should keep on praying about it. And those who have reason to be thankful should continually be singing praises to the Lord.

Is anyone sick? He should call for the elders of the church and they should pray over him and pour a little oil upon him, calling on the Lord to heal him. And their prayer, if offered in faith, will heal him, for the Lord will make him well; and if his sickness was caused by some sin, the Lord will forgive him.

Admit your faults to one another and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The earnest prayer of a righteous man has great power and wonderful results.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

I pushed my 3-year-old friend Isaac across the floor of the church nursery as he rode a four-wheeled scooter of sorts.  When I stopped, he said, “Do it again!”  I told him that I needed to rest.  “Why?” he asked.  “Because I’m tired!”  “But why?” he protested.  “Because I’m old!”  Again he asked, “But WHY?”  “I just am, Buddy,” I told him...”I just am.”

“Why?” is one of the most frequent questions we ask.

  • “Why can’t I catch a break?” 
  • “Why can’t I find a mate – or maintain a relationship?”
  • “Why can’t I skip college and get on with my life?”
  • “Why can’t I find a job?”
  • “Why can’t I – or someone I love – get well?”
  • “Why won’t You answer my prayers, LORD?”
Often the response and resolution is right before us...we just don’t recognize it!  More times than we can count, we have received our answer.  It was either a) not readily apparent to us; or b) not the one we wanted!

Hear the words of James: “...pray for each other so that you may be healed. The earnest power of a righteous man has great power and wonderful results.”  Does it say anywhere in this passage that God will give us exactly what we prayed for – specifically as we asked for it?  Does James tell us that God is selfish and answers where, when and how He wants – just to feel superior?  While God would have every right to do this, He simply doesn’t operate that way!

God loves you.  He wants you to be well...healthy...whole...complete in every way. But God has a grand plan for all of us...and even though it might not seem so, His designs are always perfect. So when you feel like you can’t catch a break, God may be building your strength and character.  When your relationships don’t work out, God may be grooming the perfect friend or partner for you – and teaching you the art of patience.  When you want to “skip steps” and move on to another phase of your life, God may be slowing you in order to prevent some sort of unfortunate or disastrous outcome.

When you can’t find a job or feel unhappy or unfulfilled in the one you have, God may be preparing you - for a better one. When you or someone you love is sick or injured - and healing doesn’t seem to come as you asked - know that God IS at work. Healing comes in many forms...and God will choose what is best for His purposes - and for your situation.

When you feel that God is not answering your prayers, examine HOW you are praying.  Do you place conditions on Him?  Do you pray specifically – and expect only that outcome?  Or do you ask God to meet your needs and the needs of those for whom you pray – but always according to HIS will and the plans that He has prepared?  Do you really TRUST God to do what is best...do you petition Him in prayer and then allow Him room to work?

Believe me, I know this is hard. Timothy loves to watch the old classic “Frosty the Snowman.”  In the story, the magician tells the children and Frosty, “I want that [magic] hat...and I want it NOW!” I think of this phrase often when I am talking to God, because so often, we pray for the “magic hat”! We want Him to answer us exactly as we asked...and we want it NOW!  This is simply not how God operates...and with good reason.  But I cannot underscore enough how much He loves you and wants to hear from you...how much God wants to give you the very best.  And He will do exactly this, if we will only call on Him in faith to answer our prayers and heal us in every way.

How will you talk to God today?  Will you allow Him to answer you in His way...to heal you according to His will?  Are you ready to trust in His love completely and believe that He has your best interest at heart?  Will your prayers be filled with “Whys”...or with praise for the answers He will surely give?  What perfect healing will God accomplish in your life today?  Aren’t you ready to find out?


©2014 Debbie Robus

No comments: