Daily Devotional for August 24, 2015

August 24 ~ Luke 6:32-36
“Do you think you deserve credit for merely loving those who love you? Even the godless do that! And if you do good only to those who do you good—is that so wonderful? Even sinners do that much! And if you lend money only to those who can repay you, what good is that? Even the most wicked will lend to their own kind for full return!

“Love your enemies! Do good to them! Lend to them! And don’t be concerned about the fact that they won’t repay. Then your reward from heaven will be very great, and you will truly be acting as sons of God: for he is kind to the unthankful and to those who are very wicked.

“Try to show as much compassion as your Father does."

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of TyndalePublishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Early in my adult life, I worked for a supervisor who had actually stated that one of his goals was to “make or break” first-year employees.  He deliberately made things difficult for them, stirred up conflict, and created situations that tested one’s fortitude and courage.  After one particularly ugly incident with this man, a co-worker offered me words of kindness and compassion…and some advice I’ve never forgotten.  She said, “Kill him with kindness.” 

Are you kidding me?  This person had just treated me horribly…made things incredibly tough for me…acted in a manner that was reprehensible.  And now I was supposed to be extra kind to him?  I was also reminded by some well-meaning, loving friends and family members that it was hard to feel unkindly toward those for whom we pray.  I was already praying – for my own courage and strength in the face of this person’s unkindness.  But now I was challenged to pray for him!  It almost seemed like too much.

I wish I could say that this was the only time in my life that I worked for a “tyrant” or with co-workers who were unpleasant or had an axe to grind.  Sadly, this appears to be more commonplace than we would like to think!  But I am grateful that I learned early on to follow Jesus’ words in this scripture passage from Luke 6.  My parents taught me as a youngster that retaliation was not the answer…that being who God designed me to be and "taking the high road" would bring far better results.  I learned that “killing with kindness” and praying for my “enemies” might not always make the other person nicer…that the path I traveled might not instantly be easier.  But in the end, I would have the satisfaction of knowing that I honored my commitment to God…that I demonstrated the love of Christ even to those who were unlovely.

This is not an easy choice.  There are days when we all want to fight back and “let ‘em have it!”  I can assure you that even in recent months, I have found it very hard to love and tolerate some people who have been incredibly unkind and divisive.  When you are hurting, it’s hard to show love and compassion for those who have committed the offenses.  But I remind myself of times when both Greg and I were told by someone, “I’ve watched you from afar…I’ve observed how kind and decent you were to XYZ.  I’ve seen how you treated them far better than they deserved and held your tongue, even when you could have said plenty.”  I know that people are watching...that what we say and do matters…and often what we DON’T say or do is just as significant.

If we want to please God, we have to emulate Jesus.  And He gave us the perfect example of how to treat those who mistreat us. Let’s be honest, to do any less puts us in the same category as those who are “wicked.”  Take the high road…kill ‘em with kindness…pray for your enemies and those who have hurt or disappointed you in some way.  Let them see Jesus in you and your every action and reaction.  The satisfaction of knowing that you honored Him with your obedient spirit will be better than any momentary pleasure over an impulsive retaliation. 

Don’t let these people steal your joy in Christ. Love others – ALL of them – as Jesus loves you…and find your peace in knowing that you have honored your commitment to love and serve Him in all things.


©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: