Daily Devotional for November 16, 2010

Mark 16:14-16
Afterwards, Jesus appeared to his eleven disciples as they were eating. He scolded them because they were too stubborn to believe the ones who had seen him after he had been raised to life. Then he told them: Go and preach the good news to everyone in the world. Anyone who believes me and is baptized will be saved. But anyone who refuses to believe me will be condemned.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

We have enjoyed beautiful fall weather lately, and the color in the trees and shrubbery has been spectacular… at least in my neighborhood. One day as I drove my grandmother to the beauty shop, I found myself traveling streets that are seldom on my route. In doing so, I enjoyed breathtaking views of maples, oaks, and elms in beautiful hues of red, orange, and yellow. Crepe myrtles were splendid on the church campus in a fiery burst of orange and yellow. The bushes in the yard of my grandmother’s neighbor were a brilliant ruby red.

Later, my husband gently teased me as I recanted all I had seen and we drove down the street toward his mother’s house. As we passed each brilliant tree, he would laughingly say, “Oooohhh, look at that one! Ohhhhhh… that one is amazing!” And they were! And once again I was reminded that all of this beauty was created by a God I have never physically seen. As we sat and enjoyed a sunny morning on our back deck, I marveled at a brilliant yellow hickory tree and how intricately God designed something as mundane as the bark on that tree… and yet He created the entire planet and rules over the universe.

I have so many questions. I wonder which came first… God or the universe? … the chicken or the egg? I wonder how God thought of all of these beautiful creations of nature… and why He bothered with things like armadillos and spiders! And do we really need snakes? More importantly, why does God bother with the likes of me? Why did He take such care to create every hair on our head… and to number them before we were even born?

Okay, many will argue that I have no way of knowing that God really did all of this. Others will ask, “If God is so powerful and great, why do we have wars, famine, droughts and other natural disasters, pain and suffering?” I have an idea about some of these, but truly, I don’t have the answer. And some use this as an excuse to deny that God exists… or to choose not to believe in Him and follow His teachings. I have made a conscious – and heartfelt – choice to believe in God.

Several years ago, I read today’s scripture passage one day while listening to a televangelist who gave his interpretation of its deeper meaning. He said that as important as the original disciples were to the cause of Jesus Christ, those of us who are His disciples today are just as vital… if not more. Why? Because the original disciples saw Jesus. They touched the nail-scarred hands and the pierced side. They had physical proof that He had been crucified, then rose from the grave.

We have none of this. We weren’t there. We have not physically seen anything. And yet we believe. We look at nature and all of God’s creations. We read the scripture and take them totally at face value… believing that the details are accurate… that what the Bible says took place actually happened. We listen for the voice of our Heavenly Father to guide us, and we share Christ’s Good News and teachings with others. Once I realized how truly exposed it is to walk in faith… to “lay it all on the line” and trust in Jesus Christ and believe His promises, even though many would argue we have no physical proof of His existence… I finally “got it!”I finally understood how incredible this “faith walk” really is… and how amazing it feels to surrender completely and just “be” in Him.

I am in awe of creation… a sunrise, the moon on a crisp autumn night, the beauty and intricacy of kittens, puppies, and small children… the wonder of an old person’s wrinkles. But more than this, I am amazed and awed again and again by the joy of daring to walk in faith and trusting God to number my days as well as my hair! Yes, I want to believe… but it’s more than that. I no longer have to convince myself that Jesus is real… I know it with every fiber of my being. He may “scold” me for many things, but it won’t be for failing to believe. What about you?

©2010 Debbie Robus

No comments: