Daily Devotional for November 6, 2010

Psalm 86:11
Teach me to follow you, and I will obey your truth. Always keep me faithful.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

One of the ladies who attended my grandmother’s birthday was a wonderful friend named Mary. I’ve known Mary for almost 25 years now, and I love her dearly… not only because of her sweet disposition, but because of her amazing example of abiding faith in God.

Mary has endured tremendous adversities and hardships. If I took the time and space to tell you about all of them, you might think I was making some of it up… a horrible tractor accident that left her husband, Fred, pinned under the machine – both of his legs crushed, and then the death of Fred several years later… tragic losses of a son, daughter-in-law, and grandson… poor health, and more. Yet Mary is neither bitter nor defeated.

As I visited with her, she hugged me tightly and squeezed my hand as she smiled and we talked. She told me of her darling grand-daughter, Riley, who is now attending college. She shared with the other ladies how we had known each other for a long time and had been members of the same Extension Homemaker’s Club, where I was far younger than the other ladies in our group. I told her how much I had learned from her and the other ladies, and she said, “We learned from each other.”

Somehow, I think I learned more than Mary and her peers… and as I looked at the ladies at my grandmother’s party, I was humbled to think how God has used so many of them to teach me over the years. These ladies showed me many useful and practical things, but more importantly, I saw God’s face through theirs. I saw faithfulness and perseverance in the lives of my own grandmother and my friend Mary. I saw the love and devotion of a mother for her child with cerebral palsy in my precious “birthday buddy,” whom I call MawMac… how she’s never treated her child as anything but the intelligent person she is - trapped in a body that doesn’t cooperate.

Even as my grandmother and her friends gathered around the table today to eat cake and drink punch, one of the ladies said, “Oh, we didn’t say the blessing!” And they stopped, put down their forks, held hands, and their Sunday School teacher led them in a prayer. As these ladies talked and laughed and shared memories that spanned more than nine decades in some cases, my 18-month-old great-nephew darted in and out among their chairs, awed by so many “grandmas” in one place. And God showed me the circle of life and reminded me of His promise to “make all things new.”

My point is that God is teaching us in all circumstances… if only we will pay attention. He can even use the birthday party of a 98-year-old grandmother and her friends to teach us about trust and faithfulness… perseverance and hard times… and the blessings of a life lived for Him, following in His steps and keeping the faith.

What is God showing you today? Who is He using to teach you His ways and truths? Are you learning from others and truly “getting” the lessons? Because I assure you, God is offering instruction… in places you probably never considered. Will you recognize these teachers and the lessons God offers through them? And what sort of example are you offering to others? Are you teaching about God’s love? Will you leave a legacy as rich in faith as these ladies? Are you really paying attention to God’s instruction these days? Shouldn’t you?

©2010 Debbie Robus

No comments: