Daily Devotional for November 3, 2010

Proverbs 27:11
My child, show good sense! Then I will be happy and able to answer anyone who criticizes me.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

This passage seemed hard to understand at first, and then I began to think about it in terms of recent events… particularly the general election. I am not going to “talk politics” here, but while many were elated over at least some of the outcomes, a lot of folks were disappointed. So what do we do when “our guy” loses? How do we react? I laughingly told one friend whose outcome was not as hoped that “I don’t know whether to cry or hit something.”

But honestly, while elections are important, the world isn’t coming to an end because one or more of our candidates didn’t win. And the real “acid test” of our faith and our Christian discipleship lies in how we react now. God wants us to show good sense and leave no room for criticism.

So if your candidates won, congratulations! I pray that you will conduct yourself with dignity and decency… that you won’t gloat over those on “the other side,” and that you will kindly and quietly go about helping your candidate work for the good of all people. I pray that you will ask God to show you how and where to concentrate your efforts in the days to come… to outline your role as His disciple and what you must do to accomplish His work.

If your candidate was on the short end of the vote, I pray that you will also behave with dignity and decency… gracious in defeat and ready to roll up your sleeves and get to work on whatever God has in store for you next.

In the days leading up to the election, I did not pray for specific candidates to win… not even “my” candidates. I prayed that sensibility, responsibility, and decency would prevail… that God would allow candidates who could move our country forward and work together for common goals to be elected. I did pray that God would bless and care for each candidate and move in him/her according to His will and purposes.

Now, I have to be sensible and trust these outcomes. I know that God is just as much in control today as he was yesterday or the day before. I know that He has plans for each of us, regardless of the election results… and it’s our job to figure out what those plans are and get busy working on them! Are you ready to roll up your sleeves and do your part? Are you ready to be sensible and make God proud?

©2010 Debbie Robus

No comments: