Daily Devotional for June 11, 2011

Psalm 91:1-4
You who sit down in the High God's presence, spend the night in Shaddai's shadow, say this: "GOD, you're my refuge. I trust in you and I'm safe!"

That's right—he rescues you from hidden traps, shields you from deadly hazards. His huge outstretched arms protect you—under them you're perfectly safe; his arms fend off all harm.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

My mother recently wrote a blog post about her memories of tornadoes in Arkansas. Much of my early childhood was spent in a storm cellar. This was in the days before “Five-live Dopplar,” satellite imagery, and more. Our “menfolk” would stand on the porch and “watch the clouds”… and as Mother pointed out, more than once they literally dove into the cellar for cover as a storm approached.

However, most nights we children would sit in the cellar with all of the women from the neighborhood and listen as they talked about the day’s events. When one of us needed a bathroom break, a man would be summoned from the porch. We were wrapped in a quilt and carried into the house, then returned to the cellar. I can still remember the snug safety of that quilt “cocoon” – wrapped tightly and held in the arms of my dad, my then-high-school-aged cousin Jim, or someone else I trusted to protect me.

As an adult, when I read this passage, I am reminded of the snug safety of those summer-time quilts and the arms of a loved one wrapped around me. I am reminded of how safe I felt in the shadow of pine trees that lined a creek bed across the road from my paternal grandparents’ farmhouse… how I took refuge there often on the soft mossy bank and listened to the soothing “whisper” of the wind in the pines. And I am comforted to think that God’s protection of me is much the same… loving, strong – yet as gentle and soothing as the whisper of that wind – safe and protective. He truly does fend off all harm.

What about you? Are you trusting God today? I will admit that sometimes fear and insecurity sneak in, and I am momentarily caught off-guard. The devil loves to try to steal my peace and try to fill me with lies and worries. But I’m not having it… and neither should you. We “dwell in the shelter of the Most High” and “rest in the shadow of the Almighty.”

Let that soak in… truly think about how powerful this is! God is our refuge and fortress… we trust Him (or we should!)… and in His arms – no matter what comes our way - we are perfectly safe. Do you feel His presence and comfort? Are you snug and comfortable in the “quilt” of His love and protection? Won’t you allow Him to handle your cares and worries… and rest in His peace?

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: