Daily Devotional for June 30, 2011

John 1:14-18
The Word became a human being and lived here with us. We saw his true glory, the glory of the only Son of the Father. From him all the kindness and all the truth of God have come down to us. John spoke about him and shouted, "This is the one I told you would come! He is greater than I am, because he was alive before I was born."

Because of all that the Son is, we have been given one blessing after another. The Law was given by Moses, but Jesus Christ brought us undeserved kindness and truth. No one has ever seen God. The only Son, who is truly God and is closest to the Father, has shown us what God is like.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

I was visiting with a dear friend recently, and the conversation turned to my uncle… my grandfather’s brother. Late in life, this confirmed bachelor married my friend’s great-aunt. Pretty much all I ever knew of my uncle was a gruff, bitter, unpleasant “old cuss” who muttered and grumbled and wasn’t much fun to be around. My grandmother always said, “The War (meaning WWII) changed him. He wasn’t always like that, and I don’t know what happened ‘over there,’ but when he came back, he was different.”

The funny thing was… my friend said, “I just loved Uncle Noel… he was so kind and sweet… he was great!” My jaw literally dropped. I knew that he doted on his wife (my friend’s aunt) and that we snickered and giggled about this gruff old man who “made goo-goo eyes” over this woman. But still, we never saw the gentle, pleasant, loving man my friend saw… we certainly never saw “sweetness!” And don’t misunderstand… I was glad to hear that he exhibited these qualities toward her and her sister. I’m glad to know he had it in him… even if we didn’t see it!

A lot of what we know about someone is what we are told. Unless we really get to know them for ourselves, all of our impressions and opinions regarding this person are merely hearsay or judgments based on distant observances. And it’s no different with Jesus. The Bible tells us of His greatness… His love and compassion… His mercy. Prophets spoke of Him before His coming… and those who served with Him wrote about their experiences. But until we experience Jesus for ourselves, people can tell us all day long about Him, and we may still have the wrong opinion at best… or totally miss experiencing a genuine, intimate relationship with Him completely. There is a difference between knowing Jesus and truly experiencing Him.

Had my friend not experienced such a loving relationship with my uncle for herself, she might have only known him through my eyes… and my experiences with him. Through Jesus, we get a huge glimpse into what God is truly like. When we experience Jesus, we experience our Heavenly Father. The best is yet to be, when we meet face-to-face in Heaven. But for now, I encourage you to study, pray, fellowship, and communicate with Jesus. Get to know him and experience for yourself His love, grace, mercy and power as He works in your life – here and now.

The “endorsement” of others isn’t a bad thing… our witness to others, based on our own experience with Jesus, is important – and part of being a Disciple of Christ. But nothing beats the real thing – the true personal experience that comes from an intimate relationship with Jesus on a continual basis. Unless we develop this for ourselves – and encourage others to do the same – we’ve not gotten to really know Jesus… and our experience in Him is less than complete. Don’t know Jesus only through the eyes of others… get to know Him for yourself and see how incredible a relationship with Him can truly be.

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: