Daily Devotional for June 12, 2011

Psalm 91:14-16
"If you'll hold on to me for dear life," says GOD, "I'll get you out of any trouble. I'll give you the best of care if you'll only get to know and trust me. Call me and I'll answer, be at your side in bad times; I'll rescue you, then throw you a party. I'll give you a long life, give you a long drink of salvation!"

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

One of my all-time favorite songs is James Taylor’s “You’ve Got a Friend.” Actually, it was written by another of my all-time favorite musicians, Carole King. In part, the lyrics say, “You just call out my name, and you know wherever I am… I’ll come runnin’ to see you again. Winter, spring, summer or fall… all you have to do is call… and I’ll be there… yes, I will – you’ve got a friend.”

Isn’t that exactly what God is expressing in this Psalm? Isn’t he always just as close as our “call?” Doesn’t He answer in good times and bad… through every season. Isn’t He our truest Friend of all?

If you don’t know this song, Google it and have a listen. You’ll find that the words provide an almost perfect description of our relationship with God… or the relationship we should desire. “You just call out My Name… and you know wherever I am… I’ll come running to see you again.” God is waiting… the party is prepared… is He your closest friend? Have you called on Him lately?

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: