Daily Devotional for June 21, 2011

2 Samuel 7:28-29
"And now, Master GOD, being the God you are, speaking sure words as you do, and having just said this wonderful thing to me, please, just one more thing: Bless my family; keep your eye on them always. You've already as much as said that you would, Master GOD! Oh, may your blessing be on my family permanently!"

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

Recently, we added a new member to our family. Three weeks ago, we welcomed Timothy’s baby sister, Zola, to the world. As soon as we knew that Zola was on the way, I began to pray for her. When the doctor declared that the baby would be a girl and a name was selected, I began to ask God specifically to nurture and protect Zola… before her birth and always. In the same way, I am praying for the unborn baby girl that my cousin and his wife are expecting, as well as the many nieces, nephews, cousins and other relatives in our extended family.

I don’t always pray for my family members by name… sometimes the prayer is more collective, as in “Please protect my husband’s brothers, their wives and children,” or “LORD, bless my cousins in northwest Arkansas and my husband’s family in Iowa.” But I believe these prayers make a difference… and pack more punch than we realize!

There is a lot of talk in the Old Testament about covenants – agreements between God and His children… promises to lead them through trials and tribulations and keep them safe. In the New Testament, the covenant between us and God comes from the blood of Jesus. When we invite Jesus to be LORD of our life, this covenant blood covers all of our sins and secures our future with Him in heaven. And when we pray and ask God for help, protection, answers, healing, and more… He hears us and delivers – according to His will.

I believe we fail to recognize the power of reminding God of His covenant with us as it extends to our family. There is power in the prayer, “Father, you promised to bless my family and keep your eye on them.” There is even more power in the confidence that God will do exactly this! I have seen the power of these prayers in action… I’ve seen the blessings and protection of God over my family members in a variety of situations. And I’ve come to recognize the power of God’s promise in the lives of those who are faithful. This makes me want to operate more fully in faith.

As much as people are watching, God is watching even more closely. When he sees a family member who is faithful and serving with honor… glorifying His name and trusting Him to mark their steps… I believe God looks at the extended family and blesses accordingly when asked. You may have family members who are not believers… or who certainly are not serving God and honoring Him in their lives. But because of your faithfulness and fervent prayers, God may bring about events that change this. I’m not saying your faith can save your family – or that they can be Christians “by proxy” through you. But I am saying that God will look at you – your service, your requests, and your faithfulness – and He will bless you in ways you can’t imagine – even to caring for your extended family.

So remember to talk to God often about everything – but be sure to remind Him of His covenant with you and your family. Ask Him to bless your parents, siblings, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins – and those yet to come in future generations. Believe that God will hear your prayers and answer according to His will… which is always perfect. Then operate in the confidence that God is “on the clock” – for you and your family!

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: