Daily Devotional for June 4, 2011

1 Samuel 14:6
Jonathan said to his armor bearer, "Come on now, let's go across to these uncircumcised pagans. Maybe GOD will work for us. There's no rule that says GOD can only deliver by using a big army. No one can stop GOD from saving when he sets his mind to it."

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

On April 12, 2011, 10-year-old LaShaun Armstrong’s 25-year-old mother put him and three siblings in the family van and told them, “If I’m going to die, you’re all going to die with me.” Then she drove the van into the frigid waters of the Hudson River near Newburgh, New York, 60 miles north of New York City. LaShaun managed to open a driver’s side window and swim to safety. His mother had crawled into the back seat, where she held LaShaun’s siblings – ages 5, 2, and eleven months. LaShaun says as he broke free, his mother said, “Oh, my God, I made a mistake” and tried to climb into the front seat and put the car in reverse. But it was too late. LaShaun was the only survivor.

News reports of this tragic incident hit the airwaves, and people were shocked and heartbroken. In particular, Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis was greatly moved by the courage of a young boy… and his tremendous loss. Lewis was so touched by LaShaun’s story that he formed a foundation and garnered the assistance of some of his friends from the Carolina Panthers. Lewis has since become something of a “big brother” to LaShaun. He said, "I looked at him and told him, 'I'm here for you man. I can't replace what you've lost. But I can tell you that I'm here to go forward with you.'"

Lewis was particularly touched by LaShaun’s story, because his own mother was unable to afford to keep him when he was a teenager. He knows the devastation of feeling abandoned by his mother… and he has vowed to make a difference in LaShaun’s life. Now, others have joined him, and LaShaun is surrounded by the love and care of many who are vowing to make a difference for him.

I know that Ray Lewis is a pro athlete with lots of resources. But he also has a big heart. He didn’t have to take an interest in a 10-year-old boy. Like many, he could have said, “That’s sad… but I’m just one person – and I don’t even know LaShaun Armstrong. There’s no way I could do anything.” Instead, this is an example of a man who has been given much using his wealth, status and resources to help others. And we can do this, too. Just as Jonathan learned in this passage from 1 Samuel, God doesn’t always need an army to make a difference… He can do great things with just one person, if He so desires.

When someone I knew to be a faithful Christian would say to me, “I am praying for you,” I used to reply, “Good… because I know you have a direct line to Heaven.” That sounds nice, and it’s quite the compliment… but it simply is not true. Nobody has a more direct line to heaven than another person. Your “line” to God is just as clear and has as many “bars” as the next person’s. You may seem to hear from Him more clearly than some… and your faithful contact may seem to result in more blessings… but God is waiting to help each of us equally.

We seriously underestimate God’s power and purpose to use “lil’ ole me” to serve and further His kingdom. He may not be calling you to fight a legion of pagans – or start a foundation to help an abandoned 10-year-old boy. But He does have plans for you – just “lil’ ole YOU”! Are you paying attention? Are you hearing God’s voice and answering His call?

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: