Daily Devotional for July 1, 2011

John 1:19-20
The Jewish leaders in Jerusalem sent priests and temple helpers to ask John who he was. He told them plainly, "I am not the Messiah." Then when they asked him if he were Elijah, he said, "No, I am not!" And when they asked if he were the Prophet, he also said "No!" Finally, they said, "Who are you then? We have to give an answer to the ones who sent us. Tell us who you are!"

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

I don’t know about you, but I find myself often explaining who I am in terms of someone else… “I’m Arline’s daughter,” or “I’m Tim Chandler’s sister,” or “My grand-dad was Arlie Ramsey.” Just the other day, I went to an estate sale at the home of my grandmother’s friends, and I said, “I’m Polly’s grand-daughter,” and the ladies’ faces lit up. They didn’t know me… but they knew my grandmother, and “by proxy,” I was okay in their book!

By the same token, there have been times when my husband has jokingly told someone, “You better be careful who you talk about… Debbie is related to everyone in the county!” Quite often, who we are to others is largely based on other people… family, friends, associates and co-workers, and even which church we attend. Because of the eight years I served in the Praise Band at my church, I’m known to many as “the one who played the piano and sang at church”!

Being known by association with others can be good and bad… depending on who the other people are! And this association brings with it certain expectations, too. If you are known for your work in the church, you may be expected to behave in a certain manner. While this can be a good thing, there is a level of responsibility that comes with the “station.” Right or wrong, many feel you should never have a bad day or be anything except bubbly, outgoing and positive at all times. Certainly you are not to say something negative or off-color, much less “behave badly”!

How are you known? More importantly, how are you known “Spiritually”? When others look at you, do they know that you are a faith-filled child of God? Do they see you as a person who depends on God to number your steps, help you through the worries and challenges of the day, and keep you focused on the work of serving in His name? Or do they see someone who “says” they are a Christian, but their daily demeanor indicates that, at best, their faith is weak and wavering?

When we get to heaven and sit on Jesus’ lap, He will see us as His precious child… the one He gave His very life to save. In my book, that will be the most amazing day ever! Meanwhile, I want people to look at me and answer the question, “Who are you?” by saying or thinking, “She is a faithful – and faith-filled – child of God. Jesus is alive and at work in and through her every single day!” When people look at you, who will they say you are? How will they answer this question? Are you known only as John Doe’s son or Sally Jones’ grandson? Are you known as the guy who hangs with the wrong crowd or the girl who drinks too much and has a potty mouth? Or are you just known as the grump who always has a problem… is angry about something or toward someone… the person who never has a good day?

Who do people say you are? How do you answer this question?

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: