Daily Devotional for July 12, 2011

John 3:5-8
Jesus answered: I tell you for certain that before you can get into God's kingdom, you must be born not only by water, but by the Spirit. Humans give life to their children. Yet only God's Spirit can change you into a child of God. Don't be surprised when I say that you must be born from above. Only God's Spirit gives new life. The Spirit is like the wind that blows wherever it wants to. You can hear the wind, but you don't know where it comes from or where it is going.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

I have friends who were adopted. Some have found their birth parents, while others have no desire to do this… claiming that their “real” parents are the ones who adopted them. Even some of those who found their birth mother will say, “She gave birth to me, but she is not my ‘mother’ in the full sense of the word.” And I truly believe that you don’t have to give birth to a baby in order to love him/her with a bond as strong as that of any devoted birth parent.

What makes the difference is just that… the bond and relationship that is formed with the child. And this is exactly how it is with God’s Holy Spirit. We all have human parents. Most of us recognize God as our Heavenly Father. But there is much more to a deep, abiding relationship with God. We must acknowledge His Holy Spirit and invite Him to live in our heart.

It took me a long time to fully understand this. I loved Jesus… I invited Him to be LORD of my life… I believed fully in God’s power and promises. But when I recognized the power of the Holy Spirit to dwell in my heart and be my constant companion… when I bonded with Him and embraced His grace, mercy, and unconditional love… I was overwhelmed by His power and presence in my life. And everything changed.

What about you? Have you acknowledged God as your Heavenly Father? More to the point, have you invited His Holy Spirit to fill your heart… have you bonded with God’s Spirit and built a full, rich relationship with Him on a daily basis? Have you recognized the depth of God’s love for you and His desire to be a part of every single breath you take? Isn’t it time you did?

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: