Daily Devotional for July 29, 2011

July 29 ~ John 5:1-9
Later, Jesus went to Jerusalem for another Jewish festival. In the city near the sheep gate was a pool with five porches, and its name in Hebrew was Bethzatha. Many sick, blind, lame, and crippled people were lying close to the pool. Beside the pool was a man who had been sick for thirty-eight years. When Jesus saw the man and realized that he had been crippled for a long time, he asked him, "Do you want to be healed?"

The man answered, "Lord, I don't have anyone to put me in the pool when the water is stirred up. I try to get in, but someone else always gets there first."

Jesus told him, "Pick up your mat and walk!" Right then the man was healed. He picked up his mat and started walking around. The day on which this happened was a Sabbath.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

I come from a fairly long line of impatient people. All of my life, my grandmother telephoned to summon us for some chore, and by the time we got to her house, she had done it herself! “Well, I decided y’all weren’t coming!” she would say, whether we arrived in three hours or thirty minutes! I grew up around a number of people who could not wait for much of anything. So it is no surprise that I often gave Christmas and birthday gifts ahead of the date, because I couldn’t wait. I grew terribly impatient as time drew near for our wedding, anxiously marking off each day on a giant multi-month calendar I had made.

When I had surgery years ago – and again when I broke my ankle – I couldn’t sit back and just chill out for the required multi-week recovery period. I tried to speed up the process… I fidgeted and fumed… and I felt like time was standing still and I would never be well again!

So when I read about a man who waited at a “healing pool” for thirty-eight years, I am truly impressed. I am amazed at his patience… and his confidence that one day, his turn would come. I am also humbled by this lesson, because as I read this passage, I clearly heard God saying, “Be patient. Trust my timing. My answers really are on the way.” And I know this… I’ve seen it over and again. If I wait – as patiently as is possible for me! – and remain faithful and fervent in asking God to answer… and trusting that He will… He does exactly that. And often, I am caught off-guard… but in the very best way!

Do we have the faith and patience of the man at the pool of Bethzatha? Or are we fidgeting and fuming and trying to hurry things along on our own timetable? When will we realize that this makes no sense – and doesn’t have any effect on God’s timetable? It’s time to learn to remain faithful and patient… and to believe that our time in the “healing pool” will surely arrive. And everything about it will be perfect!

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: