Daily Devotional for July 30, 2011

July 30 ~ John 5:30
I cannot do anything on my own. The Father sent me, and he is the one who told me how to judge. I judge with fairness, because I obey him, and I don’t just try to please myself.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

We’ve all heard the term, “play God.” Most likely, we all know someone who at least likes to think that the general rules do not apply to him/her. These people are only concerned with pleasing themselves. If we are honest, we must admit that the person who drinks or takes drugs and then drives is “playing God.” He/she is taking the risk of harming others in the name of feeling good. The person who hacks into your computer and steals your credit card number is “playing God.” He/she is not thinking about anyone else… how you will pay your bills and feed your kids.

The person who spreads gossip and tarnishes the reputation of others is “playing God.” This person doesn’t care about anything but looking good… big… important… and tearing down others is the chosen method to accomplish this. The person who picks out who they will love in the name of Jesus… only those who are of a certain race, socio-economic bracket, sexual orientation, level of intellect, and good looking are acceptable… is essentially “playing God.” Those who fall outside these parameters – borders of the individual’s own making – are given the brush-off… judged inferior and unpleasant.

The point is… even JESUS said, “I cannot do anything on my own.” Even our LORD and Savior recognized that all power and authority comes from God… and only from God. Unless He is telling us what to think… who to judge… how to behave – and we are listening carefully – we are pretty well operating on our own.

How do we know when we are hearing from God and operating under His authority? A good “litmus test” is to ask yourself two questions: 1) Is this what I really want to do… and was that my primary motivation? and… 2) What does the Bible say about this? What has God shown me in scripture and prayer about these situations? The odds are pretty good that you know the correct answers… and the true will of God in these instances. The question then becomes… upon whose authority will you act…your own, or that of our Heavenly Father?

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: