Daily Devotional for July 13, 2011

John 3:11-12
I tell you for certain that we know what we are talking about because we have seen it ourselves. But none of you will accept what we say. If you don't believe when I talk to you about things on earth, how can you possibly believe if I talk to you about things in heaven?

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

How many times have you tried to tell someone something, and they simply refused to believe you? I bet I’ve shown our little Timothy several dozen times that his square block doesn’t go in the hole for the one with the triangular shape. Yet he still seems to try to force the wrong blocks in the wrong openings. I don’t get upset with him – he will learn. But for now, it can be somewhat frustrating… especially when I just showed him the correct place for each block shape.

As we grow, we are still told things that we don’t believe. Sometimes we have to make mistakes for ourselves in order to truly learn the lesson involved… and some of those lessons are really difficult ones! If we never mature to a level where we can accept certain truths – much less believe what others tell us – how will we ever believe in something as nebulous as heaven?

A lot of us have been reading the book Heaven is for Real lately. This is the story of a four-year-old boy who had a near-death experience and “went to heaven.” He tells in vivid detail of his encounter with Jesus and loved ones – and how glorious everything was. As my mother-in-law said, “I surely hope he’s right!” We won’t know for sure until we get there. But I have to admit, I’ve been greatly encouraged by this little boy’s account.

Why is it that I am more willing to believe after hearing a “firsthand” account than I was by merely reading the accounts in the Bible? Does this truly make heaven any more real because a four-year-old child supposedly saw it and can speak from experience about what he observed there? Do we have to wait until Jesus stands right in front of us and shows us his hands and feet before we believe He truly died on the cross for our sins? What does this say about our faith? Do we even have any?

I am not ashamed to say that I was encouraged by the account of heaven given in the book Heaven is for Real. But I am not dependent on such “physical proof” in order to believe that heaven exists… or that Jesus lived and died for me and waits there to welcome each of us home. I cannot see the Holy Spirit, but I know that He is with me every second of the day.

The miracles, signs and wonders of God are all around us… and some are more readily recognizable than others - though not necessarily more significant. Until we “believe in unseen things” with God, we are not fully enjoying a deep, abundant relationship with Him based on unabashed faith. This is where He delights… this is what pleases God… when we unconditionally trust Him – especially for that which we have not seen. What is your level of faith these days? Do you need physical proof before you can truly believe… or is God’s word and promise good enough?

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: