Daily Devotional for July 21, 2011

2 Samuel 12:16-23
So David went without eating to show his sorrow, and he begged God to make the boy well. David would not sleep on his bed, but spent each night lying on the floor. His officials stood beside him and tried to talk him into getting up. But he would not get up or eat with them.

After the child had been sick for seven days, he died, but the officials were afraid to tell David. They said to each other, "Even when the boy was alive, David wouldn't listen to us. How can we tell him his son is dead? He might do something terrible!"

David noticed his servants whispering, and he knew the boy was dead. "Did my son die?" he asked his servants. "Yes, he did," they answered.

David got up off the floor; he took a bath, combed his hair, and dressed. He went into the LORD's tent and worshiped, then he went back home. David asked for something to eat, and when his servants brought him some food, he ate it.

His officials said, "What are you doing? You went without eating and cried for your son while he was alive! But now that he's dead, you're up and eating.

David answered: While he was still alive, I went without food and cried because there was still hope. I said to myself, "Who knows? Maybe the LORD will have pity on me and let the child live." But now that he's dead, why should I go without eating? I can't bring him back! Someday I will join him in death, but he can't return to me.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

Have you ever prayed for something specific, and God answered in a different way? How did you react? Did you pout… rant and rave… or mope around feeling sad and mistreated because God didn’t answer as you had wished?

We have clear examples in the Bible of God answering prayers… but not always in the way we want or expect. David had done some terrible things, and he was told that God would allow him to live… his baby boy would die because of his sin. David begged and pleaded with God not to take the baby… but that is exactly what God did.

In the New Testament, we read that Jesus prayed in the Garden of Gethsemane and asked God if there was any other way to accomplish His will without the crucifixion. Jesus prayed so hard he sweated blood! But in this case… as in the case of David… God answered differently… and both got up, dusted themselves off, and moved forward.

There is a great example here for each of us, and it has two components. First, we must always pray for God’s will… not our own. Beyond this, we must accept God’s answers – with dignity and grace. To do otherwise belies our faith. If we walk around saying, “I asked God to heal me, but I’m still sick,” we’re saying, “I don’t believe in God’s wisdom… I don’t trust His outcomes.” If we say, “I begged God not to let such-and-such happen, but it did anyway,” we are saying, “I know better than God how things ought to go. He should have listened to me!” Instead, we should be saying, “I prayed for God’s will. I will trust Him for the right outcome,” or “I asked God to heal me according to His will… and I know He will do just that!” The difference is a shift in attitude… operating in faith rather than specific requests and results.

There is nothing wrong with praying, “Lord, please dissolve this tumor,” or “Father, please protect my children.” But we must always follow with “… according to your will.” More than this, we must mean what we say. We must truly ask God to be present in our lives according to His will, and when He speaks, we must do as David did… dust ourselves off, dress and move ahead. We must look at Jesus’ example and put one foot in front of the other, regardless of what God calls us to endure.

I will be the first to admit that God has not always answered my prayers as I would like. In fact, He often answers quite differently. I’m learning to look at God’s answers and see that His outcomes are always better. Notice I didn’t say they were easier… but somewhere down the road, I can almost always see that He had a better plan. And honestly, it doesn’t matter whether I see the plan or not… what matters is that I trust God for His perfect outcome.

Think about what you are asking God for these days. Consider what you are expecting… is it His will – or your own? Where do you need to shift your attitude… and your level of trust? Have you dusted off your clothes and stepped out in faith for God’s answers lately? Isn’t it time you did?

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: