Daily Devotional for July 19, 2011

John 3:19-21
The light has come into the world, and people who do evil things are judged guilty because they love the dark more than the light. People who do evil hate the light and won't come to the light, because it clearly shows what they have done. But everyone who lives by the truth will come to the light, because they want others to know that God is really the one doing what they do.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

When I started selling online, I had a lot of trouble with photographs. One of the keys to successful online selling is having good pictures that showcase your product and its best features. For a long time, mine were pretty hit and miss. Once in awhile, I’d have what I considered to be a good photo. But there was no consistency. I did some research and studied the work of other online sellers, and I discovered that one of my biggest problems was my light source.

I knew better than to try to photograph my items in darkness. I didn’t want to hide the products – I wanted to feature them prominently! At first I tried natural daylight. But I learned that ordinary light… although fairly bright and clear… still left room for shadows and the potential for areas of darkness. When I created a setting with a direct light source to shine on exactly what I wanted to feature, I began to have beautiful, pleasing results!

In our daily living, a lot of us are walking around in broad daylight most of the time. We’re not necessarily hiding in the darkness and doing evil things. But even in the daylight, there are areas of our lives in the shadows… a bad habit we need to kick to the curb, rough language, gossip, unkind thoughts and behaviors toward others, and more. We need to study the examples of faith-filled Christians… and God’s word… and discover how to move closer to the pure Light of Jesus Christ.

Our goal should be to live in such a manner that the Light of Christ shines on us from any angle and produces beautiful results. We need to grow in our “Disciple skills” and learn how to showcase God’s work in and through us more consistently. We need to become more comfortable in the direct Light Source… and to expect better results as we serve God and help to further His Kingdom.

Which light are you operating in these days? Do you still have areas that function in the shadows? Are you ready for “full exposure” in the bright Light of Christ? Isn’t it time you were?

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: