Daily Devotional for July 18, 2012

Romans 5:6-8
Christ arrives right on time to make this happen. He didn't, and doesn't, wait for us to get ready. He presented himself for this sacrificial death when we were far too weak and rebellious to do anything to get ourselves ready. And even if we hadn't been so weak, we wouldn't have known what to do anyway. We can understand someone dying for a person worth dying for, and we can understand how someone good and noble could inspire us to selfless sacrifice. But God put his love on the line for us by offering his Son in sacrificial death while we were of no use whatever to him.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

Today, a college student from our community named Olivia received a healthy kidney from another local woman named Kathy - who felt God calling her to be the donor. Olivia suffered for three years with a kidney disease. Now, her “new” kidney is in place – and working beautifully, according to Olivia’s mom. I really don’t know Olivia or Kathy... but I’ve been reading their Facebook posts and have gleaned enough to know that Kathy has made a selfless sacrifice for Olivia.

Eleven days ago, Kathy posted on Facebook that “I will definitely be praying as I have been from the beginning!!!! God is so great to allow me to be a part of this...I still can't believe what a blessing this is to me! Can't wait to see Olivia feeling great!!!! I love you, Olivia! Meet you there!” Now THIS is obedience! This is sacrifice – one I’m not sure I could ever make. But I’m certain that Olivia and her family will forever be grateful that Kathy came forward to help.

We can’t all donate a kidney – nor are we expected to do this. But every day, God calls on us to be selfless – to think more of others than we do of our own desires and well-being. This may mean doing something as simple as taking a few minutes to move away from our computer or smart phone and write a note of encouragement to someone. We may be asked to forego our morning cup of coffee and apply that money toward a local charity or mission fundraiser. We might be led to volunteer in the church or community… to serve those who have far greater needs than our own. Or God could instruct us to stop what we are doing and pray for others. Then again, He might show you someone who needs a place to live… money for food and transportation… or one of your kidneys.

Whatever God is calling us to do, it pales in comparison to what Jesus has already done for each of us. He didn’t wait until it was convenient – or until we were deserving of such redemption. Jesus didn’t say, “Just one more game of Solitaire,” or “Let me finish this text or e-mail message.” He didn’t say, “I’m still a young man. Let me live a little first!” And God didn’t say, “I can’t sacrifice My Only Son… I’ll send Peter or James or John.”

I imagine that the waiting today was agony for Olivia’s parents… even though they were trusting God for a good outcome. But picture the anguish of sending your only child to die for the sins of undeserving – and often ungrateful – people who seem to do nothing but rebel and misbehave. We can never out-give God. Our “sacrifices” can never compare to those of Jesus on our behalf. And yet, we whine and complain when God asks us to do even the least little thing for Him.

This is a good day to stop and spend some time with God. Ask Him to show you His will for your life… where and when to “sacrifice” on His behalf. Humbly and obediently pursue His plans. Don’t ask “Why me?” or “Do I really have to?” Instead, ask, “What’s next?” God will probably never call on you to donate a kidney. But if He did… what would you say?

©2012 Debbie Robus

No comments: