Daily Devotional for July 3, 2012

James 1:5-8
If you don't know what you're doing, pray to the Father. He loves to help. You'll get his help, and won't be condescended to when you ask for it. Ask boldly, believingly, without a second thought. People who "worry their prayers" are like wind-whipped waves. Don't think you're going to get anything from the Master that way, adrift at sea, keeping all your options open.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

My sister was approached recently by someone who asked, “Does God answer your prayers?” The answer was “Yes.” The person asking questions followed with, “Well, just how long does it take?” My sister tried to explain that some prayers are answered right away, while some answers take longer… even days/weeks/years. The lady asking the questions said something to the effect of, “Oh! I can’t wait that long! I need my answer within fifteen minutes!”

I’m afraid we are all like this much of the time. We ask for what we think we can get - or feel we desperately need. We hesitate to ask God for some things, fearing He will think less of us for asking. And in all prayers, we are often impatient for an outcome. When we don’t get instant answers, we “worry our prayers” … repeat them… stew about whether – or how – God might be planning to answer. And I have to believe that all the while, God is just shaking His head in frustration.

I am still often confounded by God’s timing – because I am impatient. But as I learn to trust His answers and outcomes, I am no longer surprised them. I am still occasionally caught off guard by His delivery. Let’s just call these “pleasant surprises.” It’s not that I didn’t expect God to answer. But as I release my worries to Him, I give them to Him in faith. So when He does deliver, I feel like, “Oh! That’s great!” I knew an answer was coming…but I had stopped trying to orchestrate the arrival time and date!

Understand this… no prayer or thought is too big or too small for God. Trust Him in all things – in all sizes. Never hesitate to talk to God about anything. There is a difference between bringing concerns and praises before God over and again… and brow-beating Him in an effort to get an answer. In other words, praying for someone who is ill on a daily basis is not the same as saying, “LORD, I asked You to heal Tom… did you HEAR me?” The former speaks to what – and who – is on your heart. The latter reveals our impatience and lack of faith in God to answer. Believe me… HE knows when and how the outcome should be delivered!

The best summary I can offer for this passage today is to calm down and rest in the LORD. Talk to God about everything, without any fear of retribution or ridicule. Then trust Him to answer… when the time is right… in the most perfect way. As this passage says, stop “worrying your prayers.” Never give them a second thought. Assume that God heard you the first time… because He did… and move forward in confidence that His answer is on the way.

©2012 Debbie Robus

No comments: