Daily Devotional for March 18, 2013

March 18 ~ Job 31:4-8
Doesn’t he see everything I do and every step I take? “Have I lied to anyone or deceived anyone? Let God weigh me on the scales of justice, for he knows my integrity. If I have strayed from his pathway, or if my heart has lusted for what my eyes have seen, or if I am guilty of any other sin, then let someone else eat the crops I have planted. Let all that I have planted be uprooted.

Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

It is a well-documented fact in the world of caregiving that the person receiving care often “bites the hand that feeds them.”  In other words, the primary caregiver bears the brunt of this person’s frustrations, unkind comments and gestures, and more.  It’s not that the person receiving care is necessarily ungrateful.  Experts say this happens because he/she knows that the primary caregiver probably cannot – or will not – desert them…so they feel safe to “vent” or treat them however they please.  I’ve heard more than one caregiver say, “I can do nothing right… but let XYZ come to visit, and the heavens seem to open!”  Or a distant relative will show up for a day or two and get the royal treatment… and maybe the family heirlooms… then be gone like a vapor!

All of this is enough to make caregivers throw up their hands and say, I’m done!  I’m no longer going to care as much, visit as often, or be as nice!  In your world, this may translate to, “Why should I work so hard in school when Jim never has to do anything, and he seems to get by?”  Or maybe you feel like it doesn’t matter how much work you do in your job or your church, someone else is going to receive the accolades or be the “favorite.”  Maybe you have been diligent to work hard, pay your bills on time, and follow the letter of the law, and you know someone who skirts the edge of all of these things and seems to breeze through life driving a nicer car, wearing better clothes, and living in a bigger house… seemingly living “the good life.” You may wonder, “What’s the point?”  I know there have been times when I have observed others and said, “If I did what they were doing, I would have been bankrupt and in the ‘pokey’ years ago!”

I get it… this is enough to make us crazy at times…to frustrate us that we try so hard to do all we are supposed to do, and those who snub their nose at convention sometimes seem to get a free pass.  But here’s the deal… it’s all about integrity.  We can sum up the reason to “keep on keepin’ on” in the first line of this scripture passage… “Doesn’t He see everything I do and every step I take?”  The professor may not ever know you cheated on a test… the police officer may not catch you speeding… the bill collectors may write off your debt… your friends may never know you lied to them or betrayed them to others… but God will know all of this – and more.

The question becomes… “Who do you serve?”  Are you concerned with getting away with things or doing just enough to get by? Are you proud of the fact that you duped the system, your friends or family members and “they didn’t even know what hit them?”  Or are you willing to say, “I have done what God asked of me… I have lived in a way that honors Him and my commitment to serve as a disciple of Christ. I have worked hard and earned everything I have received ‘the old fashioned way.’  If God can find fault with how I did this, He is welcome to give all I have to someone else!”?

At the end of the day, our goal should be to walk in the confidence that we have served faithfully, honestly, and earnestly. It should not matter what the other guy is doing or how he/she is or isn’t behaving.  Integrity is a hallmark in the life of a committed, faith-filled Christian.  God will give us the strength and courage to conduct our lives with honor, if we will only ask Him and trust His lead.  You are not accountable to God for anyone else…and accountability to God is really all that matters.  How are you doing?  When God sees everything you do and every step you take, is He pleased?  Are you a person of true integrity?  Shouldn’t you be?

©2013 Debbie Robus

No comments: