Daily Devotional for March 25, 2013

Proverbs 2:6-8
For the Lord grants wisdom! From his mouth come knowledge and understanding. He grants a treasure of common sense to the honest. He is a shield to those who walk with integrity. He guards the paths of the just and protects those who are faithful to him.
 
Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
 
This morning, I found a Facebook post from my friend Mich that said… “Had an amazing weekend of class at OU. The moment I'll remember... I hung my bumper on the curb outside Cheddars, and when I backed up I tore the darned thing off! It was hanging by a corner. I tried to reattach it, but it just wouldn't cooperate. So I walked away to the Target next door to buy some duct tape. Did I mention it was freezing and the North wind was strong? I had abandoned all dignity and was determined to just tape the darned thing to my car and drive it. When I got back to my car I discovered someone had reattached my bumper! I only needed to put on a little tape and it was OK to drive. I continue to give thanks for Good Samaritans and Invisible Angels who act when we need them.”
 
I know that Mich is a man of integrity, and his path was definitely guarded.  He was certainly protected this weekend.  Would Mich have had the same experience if he didn’t walk in the wisdom and understanding of the LORD?  It’s possible… I’m not saying that God will not look after those who lack common sense and honesty.  I do believe that God extends love and care to all who need it, whether they realize this or not.  But in what measure?  Does God allow us to experience a certain level of discomfort and insecurity in order to persuade us to trust Him more and to seek His wisdom?
 
Yesterday, our Sunday school leader posed the question, “Why did Jesus ride into Jerusalem on Palm Sunday for you?  We each shared our thoughts on this… and many mentioned that they did not feel they would be where they are today without Jesus and the sacrifices He made on that original “Holy Week.”  Others said that knowing the sacrifices Jesus made for them gave them confidence that He loved them and cared for them in all situations… that He was guiding their steps and protecting them and the outcomes of all circumstances… that He offered the promise of heaven and an eternity spent in His presence.  Still another response was that we might be blessed with a wonderful spouse, a beautiful family and many incredible things and experiences in life… but Jesus’ ride into Jerusalem fills us with hope and confidence in His promises.”
 
So what does this mean for us with regard to Proverbs 2:6-8?  Does the wisdom and understanding we receive from a relationship with God really matter?  Would Good Samaritans and Invisible Angels minister to us even if we didn’t operate with integrity?  Would we be where we are today without the guidance and protection of God?  Perhaps… but wouldn’t you rather know for sure?  Without Jesus’ sacrifices, we surely would not have hope and the confidence of His promises to return for us… to be with us forever and in all things.  Wouldn’t you rather live with confidence that God cares for your every situation and circumstance?
 
Duct tape is an amazing product… and no doubt, my friend Mich could have patched his bumper enough to get home.  But I have every confidence that God took a look at his predicament and said, “Here, buddy… let Me give you a hand.  I’ve got this one!”  What God does for those who honor Him and walk with integrity, He will surely do for you.  All you have to do is trust Him… to surrender to His will and operate in His common sense and wisdom. Don’t you want to live with the confidence that God always has your back?  Why did Jesus ride into Jerusalem on Palm Sunday for you?
 
©2013 Debbie Robus

No comments: