Daily Devotional for March 31, 2013

Psalm 41:11-13
I know you are pleased with me,
    for you have not let my enemies triumph over me.
You have preserved my life because I am innocent;
    you have brought me into your presence forever.
Praise the Lord, the God of Israel,
    who lives from everlasting to everlasting.
Amen and amen!

 
Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
 
This morning, we took Timothy and Zola to an Easter egg hunt at our church campus… held after morning services on the grounds surrounding the sanctuary.  There were people everywhere, and the grass was thoroughly covered in plastic eggs filled with candy.  Timothy, Zola and several of the younger ones really didn’t know what to do with the whole situation…but they figured it out pretty quickly.   After all the eggs were gathered, the children did what children like to do… they ran willy-nilly as far and as fast as they could!
 
When it was time to leave, my husband and I herded our two toward the car… but Timothy pulled loose and began to run.  As we approached the street, I reminded him that he had to hold his Uncle Greg’s hand, because cars could be coming, and the drivers might not be watching for little ones.  Sure enough, a car came up the street, and the man driving it headed directly for Zola and me.  I am not sure if he saw Timothy, and he never really got that close to him, but my husband scooted over quickly to shield Timothy and protect him.
 
The man was intent on asking directions to another church in town, and I honestly don’t think it even registered with him that we had small children in our charge as he pulled up beside us.  And certainly, my husband and I would both move heaven and earth to protect our little ones, so neither he nor any other driver was about to cause them any harm.  But I said a quick, “Thank You, LORD!” anyway, as my husband scooped up Timothy and put him into our car!
 
Small children are indeed innocent.  They have not yet learned about the perils of “enemies” such as fast-moving cars on a busy street… crowds of people at an outdoor event… and even the ramifications of eating too much candy or biting into something that is rock hard, like an all-day sucker that can crack a baby tooth!  They have not yet learned the impropriety of announcing to the world that they don’t want to do something, or screaming at the top of their lungs in public just because it feels good.  They don’t know how to be nice and polite to others… to speak when spoken to… or to come immediately when summoned.  So we adults have to protect them, teach them, and nurture them… just as God has done for us.
 
In 1 Corinthians 13:11, Paul says, “When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child. But when I grew up, I put away childish things.”  The time has come for us to put away childish things and operate with integrity and honor.  We can live with the assurance that God will protect us - not because of our innocence or immaturity… but rather, because we have put away the childish things and now walk in His truths – and demonstrate them in our daily existence.
 
Today of all days, as we think of Jesus and how He rose from the grave and conquered death, we should stop and thank Him for the tremendous work and sacrifices He has done on our behalf.  We should praise Him for protecting us from our enemies – often when we totally do not deserve His help.  We should humbly glorify Him for loving us enough to suffer for our sins… and we should make every effort to live each day in a way that shows how truly appreciative we are.  Will you do this?  Will you put aside childish behaviors and begin to operate with integrity and honor?  Has God brought you into His presence?  Do you live in a way that says that you belong there?  Isn’t it time that you did?
 
©2013 Debbie Robus

No comments: