Daily Devotional for March 30, 2013

Psalm 26:8-12
I love your sanctuary, Lord,
    the place where your glorious presence dwells.
Don’t let me suffer the fate of sinners.
    Don’t condemn me along with murderers.
Their hands are dirty with evil schemes,
    and they constantly take bribes.
But I am not like that; I live with integrity.
    So redeem me and show me mercy.
Now I stand on solid ground,
    and I will publicly praise the Lord.

 
Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
 
My husband and I have spent much of this week sorting through old photographs – ours and my grandmothers, mostly.  We’ve looked at each one and compared this one and that… “Aren’t they almost identical?  Is this one more blurry than the next?  Why are we saving a picture of someone we don’t even know?”  We’ve “culled” the ones that we did not deem worthy of keeping for some reason.  Some went to the shredder… others were sent to those featured in the picture for their albums – or trash cans!
 
Our qualifying criteria for keeping a picture were that it had to have some sort of value – or integrity – or it had to be something we could scan and improve the quality.  More than once, one of us would be ready to toss a picture, and the other would say, “I know that’s not a great photo… but I like the way So-and-so is smiling…” or “Yes, that’s a little blurry, but that is good of XYZ…you never saw him/her without that object!”  So we were merciful and returned more than a few less-than-stellar specimens to the “save” pile.
 
I’d like to think that I have more redeeming qualities than poor ones.  I strive to live with integrity… to please God with my thoughts, words and actions.  But on any given day, He could easily toss me to the “cull” stack if He chose… and I know this.  So I make a concerted effort to live in a way that honors God each day.  I try not to murder… even with sharp words or gossip.  I try very hard not to be manipulated or bribed into doing or saying something I shouldn’t.  Even when I feel that others won’t like my comments or actions, I work hard at standing on solid ground and operating in God’s truth – and I hope I do so with kindness and grace.
 
I do love God’s sanctuary… the place where His glorious presence dwells.  I am forever indebted to Him for His gift of Jesus Christ… and for the sacrifice that He made for you and me on the cross.  I am forever grateful that Jesus rose from the grave and ascended into heaven… that He waits for me there.  Ultimately, I praise God for taking a second look at me… for putting me back in the “keep” pile to live for Him another day… and I’m doing everything I can to stay there.  What about you?
 
©2013 Debbie Robus

No comments: