Daily Devotional for April 22, 2013

Jude 1:3-4
Dear friends, I had been eagerly planning to write to you about the salvation we all share. But now I find that I must write about something else, urging you to defend the faith that God has entrusted once for all time to his holy people. I say this because some ungodly people have wormed their way into your churches, saying that God’s marvelous grace allows us to live immoral lives. The condemnation of such people was recorded long ago, for they have denied our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ.
 
Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
 
Over the weekend, Oscar-winning actress Reese Witherspoon was arrested in Atlanta, Georgia, for disorderly conduct.  Witherspoon’s husband, Jim Toth, was stopped for driving erratically, given a field sobriety test, and subsequently booked on DUI charges.  Witherspoon would not stay in the car, as instructed by the police officer.  She reportedly asked him, “Do you know my name?  You are about to find out who I am!”  Witherspoon has now apologized for her actions, saying in part… “I do want to say, I clearly had one drink too many, and I am deeply embarrassed about the things I said. It was definitely a scary situation and I was frightened for my husband, but that is no excuse. I was disrespectful to the officer who was just doing his job. I have nothing but respect for the police, and I'm very sorry for my behavior.”
 
We may not have been arrested for disorderly conduct or DUI, but we are all guilty of claiming entitlement at one time or another.  Because of our accomplishments, our position, or our pedigree, we decide that our words and actions are above reproach.  The other guy simply “has no idea who he/she is dealing with!”  We shouldn’t have to wait in line, abide by certain rules or laws that were clearly created for “the other guy.”  The concert tickets may have said “no cameras,” but this didn’t mean we couldn’t snap one picture with our phone!  The city-wide alert may have said, “Everyone stay in your homes and lock your doors,” but one little peak outside won’t hurt!  Curfews are for someone else... speed limits aren’t for “good drivers” like us… and it is understood that the sign on the door that said, “Don’t enter if you have flu-like symptoms” implies that “if you’re sick, but your family member is housed here, this doesn’t apply to you!”
 
Moreover, because you gave your heart to Jesus when you were twelve, you are “covered” forever.  You are now free to do as you please without concern for repercussions.  If anyone checks you on this, you can ask them, “Do you know my name?  I am a Disciple of Jesus Christ!”  Of course, you realize I am being facetious!  Just as claiming to be an Academy-Award-winning actress does not allow you to be disorderly and disrespectful to a police officer, being a born-again Christian does not entitle you to live as you please for the rest of your time on earth!
 
Jesus made an incredible sacrifice for us on the cross… one that entitles all who accept the gift of salvation to spend Eternity with Him in heaven.  But too many of us forget what came after the cross!  In essence, Jesus said, “I did this for you… now here’s what you need to do for Me in return.”  He doesn’t ask much… just that we love Him with all our hearts, love others as we love ourselves, and spread His Good News with the world.  Nowhere in Scripture does Jesus say, “I bought and paid for you on the cross… now go do as you please!”
 
I know you may be thinking that the Bible also doesn’t specifically say “Don’t drink and drive or exceed the speed limit… you are not entitled to special treatment… and the rules always apply to everyone.”  But actually, it does.  Jesus says, “If you love Me, keep My commandments.”  He tells us to treat others as we would like to be treated.  Jesus commands us to love Him with all our heart, mind, body and soul.  If you “drill it down,” you would have to agree that being a born-again disciple of Christ entitles you to the Kingdom of heaven… but this does not put you above the rules and order of this earth!
 
I firmly believe that we who claim salvation through Jesus Christ are entitled… just not in the way you think!  I believe that we have been freely given a Gift we cannot even comprehend, much less ever deserve.  But with this endowment comes incredible responsibility.  We must check our words and actions at all times and make sure they are 100% respectful to God.  We must live in such a way that we truly can ask, “Do you know my name?  I am a Disciple of Jesus Christ!” – not to excuse our behavior… but rather, because we are glorifying His name.
 
How are you doing these days?  Are you claiming the name of Jesus as your “excuse” – or as your heritage?  Do others know who – and Whose – you are… for all the right reasons?
 
©2013 Debbie Robus

No comments: