Daily Devotional for April 25, 2013

Luke 16:19-31
There was once a rich man who wore expensive clothes and every day ate the best food.  But a poor beggar named Lazarus was brought to the gate of the rich man’s house.  He was happy just to eat the scraps that fell from the rich man’s table. His body was covered with sores, and dogs kept coming up to lick them. The poor man died, and angels took him to the place of honor next to Abraham.
 
The rich man also died and was buried. He went to hell and was suffering terribly. When he looked up and saw Abraham far off and Lazarus at his side, he said to Abraham, “Have pity on me! Send Lazarus to dip his finger in water and touch my tongue. I’m suffering terribly in this fire.”
 
Abraham answered, “My friend, remember that while you lived, you had everything good, and Lazarus had everything bad. Now he is happy, and you are in pain.  And besides, there is a deep ditch between us, and no one from either side can cross over.”

But the rich man said, “Abraham, then please send Lazarus to my father’s home.  Let him warn my five brothers, so they won’t come to this horrible place.”
 
Abraham answered, “Your brothers can read what Moses and the prophets wrote. They should pay attention to that.”

Then the rich man said, “No, that’s not enough! If only someone from the dead would go to them, they would listen and turn to God.”
 
So Abraham said, “If they won’t pay attention to Moses and the prophets, they won’t listen even to someone who comes back from the dead.”
 
Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.
 
For someone my age, the point of reference that comes to mind for this scripture passage is the decision we made with my grandmother to move her to an assisted living facility.  My grandmother knew she needed to make the move… but actually committing to doing so was another story.  Over and over I hear friends say, “I’ve tried to talk to Mom/Dad about giving up their home and moving into a retirement center, but they won’t even talk about it.” This is one of those things that pretty well has to be the idea of that particular individual.  The relatives may say, “You talk to him/her.”  Maybe if YOU say something, it will make a difference.  But the truth is… this person knows all of the “pros and cons”… he/she has just not made the decision to move – or he/she may no longer be mentally capable of such a rational decision.
 
For younger people, the decision may be something like choosing to quit smoking.  You know it’s bad for your health, expensive, and more and more unacceptable socially… but it’s a tough habit to kick.  No matter how many people talk to you about this, you are not swayed.  My grandfather fell over dead from a stroke one morning.  He rolled his own “Prince Albert’s” and smoked like a haystack. After he died, I looked around my grandmother’s living room, and there sat no less than half a dozen relatives – including my dad, my sister and brother, and a great aunt… all smoking one cigarette after the other.  All the talk in the world was not going to make them quit smoking… they had to want to do so for themselves.
 
What resonated with me about this scripture today is that there are many circumstances and situations in which I have done all I can humanly do to affect the outcome.  The people involved know the right choice to make… now it is up to them to make it.  I can continue to pray for them… love and encourage them…and serve as a Godly example in my own daily living.  But the time for talk, begging and pleading is over.  If they have not responded to my appeals already, it’s pretty clear that any further petitions would be a waste of good breath.
 
I am not suggesting you desert people… or give up on them.  I am merely pointing out that sometimes the time for talking comes to an end.  Often, the best thing we can do is sit back and let God work.  In my grandmother’s case, she came to the decision on her own that she was no longer able to make it work by herself… she needed constant care and the security of an apartment in an Assisted Living Facility.  For many others in her shoes, the decision becomes all too evident in short order… or an injury or illness facilitates a more sudden conclusion.
 
As for smoking and other addictive behaviors… all the talk in the world is not going to change those who are afflicted.  We cannot make another person give up a bad habit… we can’t force a student to study hard and make good grades… we can’t coerce a young adult to grow up and behave responsibly… and we cannot impose our faith in God on another person.  If you are like me, these are hard realizations.  I am a person of action… a “fixer.”  I want to do something to make things better.  And God is telling me to step aside and let Him drive the car.  I think it’s time I did exactly that.  What about you?
 
©2013 Debbie Robus

No comments: