Daily Devotional for April 3, 2013

1 Kings 19:20-21
Elisha deserted the oxen, ran after Elijah, and said, “Please! Let me kiss my father and mother good-bye—then I’ll follow you.”

 
“Go ahead,” said Elijah, “but, mind you, don’t forget what I’ve just done to you.”
 
So Elisha left; he took his yoke of oxen and butchered them. He made a fire with the plow and tackle and then boiled the meat—a true farewell meal for the family. Then he left and followed Elijah, becoming his right-hand man.
 
Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.
 
Excuses!  Excuses!  We’ve all got ‘em!  “When I finish watching this program, I’ll get up and do XYZ… if I get the job I want, I will move out and get my own place… when I lose a few pounds, get a haircut, or all the stars align, I’ll start coming to church.”  We have built a lifetime of “not nows,” “maybe laters” and “somedays.”  Sometimes the ramifications seem to be rather benign… other times, we realize that our excuses will have major ramifications. Still, we make choices – and excuses – and generally, we just hope for the best.
 
Let me ask you… are you making excuses with God?  Is he knocking on the door to your heart, but you have a ready list of justifications for hiding in the shadows?  Are you one of those who says, “I’m coming with you LORD… but let me do this or that first.”?  Do you have a zillion reasons – most of which you feel are good ones – that you just can’t follow Him completely today?
 
We all have a stash of ready excuses…at home, at work, in our personal relationships – and yes, for God.  The question is… are they justifiable - especially when it comes to our faith walk?  Is there ever truly a good excuse when God calls?  Examine your heart – and your explanations.  Are any of them really reasonable?  When God reaches out to you, and you hesitate… what will be your excuse? Do you remember what He has done for you?
 
©2013 Debbie Robus

No comments: