Daily Devotional for April 28, 2013

Matthew 8:21
Another disciple said to Jesus, “Lord, let me wait till I bury my father.”
 
Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.
 
Several years ago, a good friend kept encouraging me to attend a Walk to Emmaus.  I kept making excuses.  I couldn’t make the dates work with my schedule… it just wasn’t the right time in my life… I would go someday, when everything fell into place.  The truth is…I thought I had a few things I needed to fix before I went.  I needed to work on a few things… my attitudes… my prayer life and how I communicated with God, and more.  THEN, I would go.  Finally, my excuses just seemed to grow weak.  My friend didn’t badger me… but he kept gently asking… “Are you ready?  There’s room on this next Walk!  There’s a Walk in a couple of months.  I’ll sponsor you.  You deserve this!”  DESERVE?  Really?!  I couldn’t imagine that I deserved this 72-hour “retreat,” but I agreed to go.  My friend and his wife drove me to the campus where the Walk was taking place.  And there, I learned just how ridiculous all of my excuses had been.
 
On my Walk to Emmaus, I learned that we don’t need to “fix” anything on our own – we just need to follow God.  And we don’t need to keep him waiting.  If you are a young person reading this, I understand… I get you!  I know you have things you want to do… and you think you have plenty of time to develop an intimate relationship with God later.  For now, it’s enough to know that you are a Christian… that God has your back, and that you can call on Him whenever you need Him.  If you are an older person, maybe you have let “life” get in the way.  You are working too hard… you have family pressures...you are not happy with certain aspects of your life… you feel inadequate and unworthy.  You may be complacent or comfortable with your current relationship with God… such as it is.  And what I want to tell all of you is that Jesus is calling… don’t put off answering!
 
This is not a campaign to get you to go on a Walk to Emmaus… although there are plenty of people who would gladly sponsor you, if you chose to do so.  And the Walk to Emmaus itself was not a “magic bullet” that changed me… although I do think I am a different kind of Christian as a result of what God revealed to me there.  What is important is for each of us to recognize that we have no time to waste!  Excuses are simply that… excuses.  God doesn’t want us to try to fix ourselves before we come to Him… He’s waiting to do this for us!  He doesn’t want us to put off serving until we have the right amount of time, get our hair fixed and buy new clothes, rear our kids, or “sow a few wild oats” and get established in our career, home and relationships.  God wants us to come to Him now…to be His disciples… and to go “all in” from the beginning.
 
We must understand that God doesn’t want perfect people who have all the time in the world.  He wants people who are willing to drop everything and say, “Here I am, LORD… where do You want me to serve?”  He wants servants who fully trust Him to fix the broken places… those who will serve so faithfully that they would even forego burying their own father to get in line behind Him and follow wherever He leads.  Chances are good that you will never be asked to make such a sacrifice… but God needs to know you would be willing to serve Him at a moment’s notice.
 
I hope that you will take some time and examine your heart.  Talk to God and tell Him all of your excuses.  Say them out loud, and listen to how silly they probably will sound.  Above all, understand that God wants you to follow Him completely, unconditionally… TODAY!  He wants you to be willing to sacrifice relationships with your family and friends, your career, your material possessions, your physical safety and well-being… everything.  In truth, anyone who humbly and faithfully follows God will never really give up anything.  God will restore anything that is taken… He will bless and benefit all who become genuine Disciples.  And none of us deserve this… but God will do it anyway.
 
So what about you… what do you have to do that is keeping you from the business of serving God?  What are your excuses?  Jesus is calling you to follow Him.  Isn’t it time you dropped everything and got in line?
 
©2013 Debbie Robus

No comments: