Daily Devotional for May 1, 2013

Romans 1:8-15
I thank God through Jesus for every one of you. That’s first. People everywhere keep telling me about your lives of faith, and every time I hear them, I thank him. And God, whom I so love to worship and serve by spreading the good news of his Son—the Message!—knows that every time I think of you in my prayers, which is practically all the time, I ask him to clear the way for me to come and see you. The longer this waiting goes on, the deeper the ache. I so want to be there to deliver God’s gift in person and watch you grow stronger right before my eyes! But don’t think I’m not expecting to get something out of this, too! You have as much to give me as I do to you.
 
Please don’t misinterpret my failure to visit you, friends. You have no idea how many times I’ve made plans for Rome. I’ve been determined to get some personal enjoyment out of God’s work among you, as I have in so many other non-Jewish towns and communities. But something has always come up and prevented it. Everyone I meet—it matters little whether they’re mannered or rude, smart or simple—deepens my sense of interdependence and obligation. And that’s why I can’t wait to get to you in Rome, preaching this wonderful good news of God.
 
Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.
 
Have you ever really wanted to do something or go somewhere, but nothing worked out?  It seemed like no matter how hard you tried - or how much you wanted to do this - things just never came together.  You might have even said, “There’s just something holding me back!”  On the other hand, there might have been something you felt you should do… but everyone else said, “That’s crazy!”  Still, you strongly felt you were supposed to take a certain job, donate to a certain cause, or even go visit someone you might not know very well – or with whom your relationship had not been all that great.
 
I don’t know about you, but I am comforted to know that this even happened to the Apostle Paul! And yet, I’m not surprised, because clearly the timing was not right… this was not his “season” to visit the Romans!  And the “something” that held him back was most likely Someone – God Almighty!
 
In this passage, Paul is somewhat making excuses.  But in his case, the reasons are valid.  There truly are times when we are not meant to participate in something… to volunteer for a particular ministry, join a Bible study group or civic club, take on another project or hobby, or even take a trip.  The KEY is to know when we are merely making excuses because we don’t want to do something or it doesn’t fit our own personal agenda…and when God is whispering, “This is not your season for that project,” or “This doesn’t fit my plans for you.”
 
Our pastor was speaking to the membership a few weeks ago about areas of service within the church, and he plainly told those in attendance not to sign up for everything on the list!  God doesn’t want warm bodies… He wants willing servants that He can equip for the task.  If we take on anything and everything that comes down the pike, we will be something of a “jack-of-all-trades-and-master-of-none.”  We cannot be effective if we spread our talents and energy too thinly.  So sometimes, the “excuse” that “it’s just not working for me right now,” or “this is not my season” is totally appropriate.
 
Believe me, if God had wanted Paul to visit the Romans at the time of his letter, He would have cleared the way.  And if you and I stay in close communication with Him, we will know that He is guiding our steps and opening doors.  When something doesn’t feel right - or things just don’t seem to come together – stop and ask God, “What are you showing me?  Am I on track?  Is this where You want me to be?”  If you do not get a clear indication that God is sending you, I strongly encourage you to re-evaluate your choices. 
 
By the same token, I can name more than one time in my life that I have felt strongly convicted I was supposed to move in a certain direction or make a specific decision that my head told me was ridiculous… but God spoke to my heart and said, “Do it anyway.”  I know people who paid for meals in restaurants for complete strangers, reached out to someone with whom they had a strained relationship, and stepped up to be foster parents, and more… all while “that little voice in their heads” said, “This is crazy!”  But the Voice in their heart said, “I’m beside you all the way… do this for Me.”  And the outcome blessed all concerned.  When God calls you to step out and do something that is scary, unconventional, or unpleasant… trust Him to make the difference - and go for it!
 
There are plenty of times when we make excuses because of our own selfish desires.  But sometimes, our “excuse” is that “God told me to do this… or NOT to do this.”  And this justification is not only appropriate… it is extremely critical to the life of a Christian.  Following God’s will is the only thing that truly matters.  The next time He leads you in a specific direction…will you be ready and willing to follow?  Make sure your “excuses” are always based on your “heart-talk” with God… and not on your own agenda.
 
©2013 Debbie Robus

No comments: