Daily Devotional for May 9, 2013

May 9 ~ 1 Timothy 1:16
But God had mercy on me so that Christ Jesus could use me as a prime example of his great patience with even the worst sinners. Then others will realize that they, too, can believe in him and receive eternal life.
 
Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
 
In her book, Just Give Me Jesus, Anne Graham Lotz shares the story from John 2:1-11 of a wedding party attended by Jesus, His mother Mary, and other family members and friends.  During the party, the servers ran out of wine… a situation that could have shamed the bride and groom forever – and possibly even ruined their marriage.  Mary went to Jesus and told Him that the wine had run out.  She didn’t ask Him to do anything… she merely stated this fact.  Jesus informed her that it was not His time – meaning, it was not time for Him to reveal to a crowd that He was the Son of God with Supernatural powers!
 
Lotz goes on to make the observation that Jesus probably saw a hidden agenda in Mary’s comment.  Perhaps she wanted everyone else to know who Jesus really was as a matter of pride.  Maybe it was the wedding of another son or close relative… and Mary was trying to “save face.”  Regardless, Jesus could have been irritated by His mother’s ulterior motives… and her impatience.  Mary’s implication may have been… “The wine has run out… fix it now!”
 
As I read this and thought about my own relationship with Jesus, I wondered how often my prayers really contain a hidden agenda or ulterior motive?  When I pray for someone else to develop a stronger connection with Him… am I really saying, “If he/she had a deeper faith, then I wouldn’t have to pick up their slack.”?  When I ask God to work in a situation where someone is sick, is it because I’m tired of having to care for them?  When I call on Jesus to work in any particular instance, am I subconsciously tapping my foot and asking Him to hurry up about it?  Anne Graham Lotz points out that in many cases the “wine” ran out “one glass at a time”… but we expect Jesus to refill us in an instant!
 
Does Jesus grow impatient with my impatience?  Surely He must!  How many times have I dragged my feet about doing what He asks of me?  And yet, I expect Him to be front and center with “more wine.”  This is what the Apostle Paul was talking about in this letter to Timothy… that Jesus exercised tremendous patience with a sinner such as he – and He will do the same for each of us.
 
Frankly, I’m a little embarrassed to think that God would use me as an example of impatience.  But if Jesus’ example of grace, mercy, and forgiveness extended to me helps another person to draw closer to Him… count me in!  Meanwhile, I am going to examine my prayers a little more closely.  I’m going to work on waiting on the LORD to answer… and asking for His will – and not my hidden motives.  It’s a tall order… and I doubt God will fix me overnight.  But I’m learning to be patient… are you?
 
©2013 Debbie Robus

No comments: