Daily Devotional for May 28, 2013

Numbers 14:17-18
Show us your great power, Lord. You promised that you love to show mercy and kindness. And you said that you are very patient, but that you will punish everyone guilty of doing wrong—not only them but their children and grandchildren as well.
 
Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.
 
Last night, a cousin posted a photo on Facebook that I had never seen of my paternal great-grandfather, my great-grandmother, and five of their nine children.  The photo was probably taken in 1906.  I had never seen a picture of my great-grandfather Chandler… and none of my great-grandmother at such a young age (26).  I studied the photo and looked at their features… could I see any of my own in their faces?  My great-grandfather’s face reminded me of my uncle (his son - my grandfather’s brother).  If I looked carefully, I could see that my grandfather more closely resembled his own mother… and I probably have some of her features, as well.


I was discussing this picture with one of my cousins, and she said, “Now we know where we came from!”  Indeed, we are largely a compilation of our ancestors, from physical characteristics to mannerisms… and possibly even talents and abilities. We may belong to a “musical family,” or one that has a rich history of athleticism.  Our family may have a lineage of scholars who achieved great success in business and were respected in their roles as pillars of the community.  At the same time, we sometimes carry genes that make us prone to such things as heart disease, obesity, diabetes… and even alcoholism.  And all too sadly, some of us carry the “gene” or “family curse” for afflictions such as depression or mental illness, a variety of addictions, or even a propensity for physical abuse and more.
 
As I study my family’s photographs, I wonder… who do I resemble – both physically, and in other ways?  What was handed down to me?  It’s daunting to think that the things you and I do today could have such a powerful impact on the lives of our children, grandchildren and even our great-grandchildren and beyond.  But in some ways, I believe they do.
 
Am I saying that God looks at us and says, “I don’t like what Tom is doing, but I’m going to wait and punish his great-grand-daughter for it!”?  Not exactly.  But I believe very strongly that people are watching… especially our children… and they pick up our little peculiarities and habits, even when we don’t realize this is happening. This is why someone develops a sharp tongue just like his/her father or a “worry wart” attitude like Grandmother’s.  This is how families develop a mindset of bigotry and racism… how some become known collectively for such things as laziness, negativity, elitism… or even general sinfulness.  And this is how we pass these things on to future generations.
 
Inclinations toward certain attitudes and/or vices are often instigated by the adults in our circle, and the devil takes great delight in fanning the flames to cause a firestorm.  God allows us free will and the option to act and think whatever we choose.  How many times have you heard someone say, “If it was good enough for Mom or Dad, it’s good enough for me!” or “I can’t help it… I’m just like my Mom/Dad/Grandma/Grandpa/Uncle Joe…” (you fill in the names)?  God is patient with us and gives us the freedom to decide whether to be like Mom/Dad/Grandma/Grandpa… or to be like Him.  The ultimate decision is totally ours.  He allows us to choose… even when we elect poorly or follow the wrong examples.  But the stakes are high… the consequences can be costly… and the devil is ready to take even the smallest spark and ignite it for his own advantage.
 
What if we started making a concerted effort today to live differently… to polish and perfect the good characteristics we inherited... to combine them with God’s strength and power in order to combat the not-so-good traits?   What if we vowed to break the curses of past sins… and never to perpetuate them to future generations?  What if you and I lived – and served – in such a manner that we didn’t have to fear God’s retribution?  I don’t know about you, but if any of my “children” say, “Oh, I got that from my Aunt Debbie,” I want it to be something that pleases God rather than something of the devil!
 
What “curses” from your past do you struggle with even today?  Are there areas in which you need to say, “LORD, I know you have patiently waited for me to surrender this to you… and today is that day!”?  Wouldn’t this be a great time to wipe the slate clean… to allow God to have control over your past, present and future?  What are you waiting for?  Make this the day you more closely resemble Jesus Christ than anyone else.  Let this be the start of a brand new chapter… and a whole other story - for you and future generations.
 
What will you decide?  Who will you look like today?
 
©2013 Debbie Robus

No comments: