Daily Devotional for May 24, 2013

May 24 ~ Luke 21:16-19
Even those closest to you—your parents, brothers, relatives, and friends—will betray you. They will even kill some of you. And everyone will hate you because you are my followers. But not a hair of your head will perish! By standing firm, you will win your souls.
 
Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
 
I have a friend who tells the story of his grandfather…a Jew who became a Christian.  The grandfather’s family told him that he was dead to them if he made such a decision.  My friend’s grandfather chose to follow Jesus anyhow.  A church member I know tells of how he and fellow members of his army platoon met in secret while deployed to Afghanistan during the first Gulf War… just so they could hold worship services.  In doing so, they literally feared for their lives… as do countless others around the globe who worship in places where Christianity is forbidden.  That is something most of us cannot fathom.  We cannot begin to consider possible betrayal or death – especially at the hands of a friend, family member or loved one because of our faith.  Imagine living in a country where your worship of Jesus Christ might be so daunting that your own parents would turn you in to the authorities for doing so, just to save their own necks!
 
Few of us can imagine doing this.  But maybe you grew up in a family where you were persuaded to “skip church and do something fun” with the family. You might have been the only person in your household who desired to worship and serve Jesus… and the others might have berated you for doing so.  Perhaps you have been laughed at and ridiculed by your classmates and friends because of your faith.  Maybe you have been labeled as a “goody two-shoes” or a “Jesus freak” – and excluded from certain circles and invitations to more than one event. Maybe you have decided to follow Jesus… and in doing so, you had to give up friends – and even family members – and distance yourself from those who engage in immoral, illegal, and/or sinful activities.
 
Whatever ridicule, exclusion, physical or emotional abuse or discomfort of any sort you may experience because you love and serve Jesus, know this… He has your back!  You will come out on top.  As this scripture indicates… “not a hair on your head will perish!”  You may be bruised and scraped… wounded emotionally, if not physically… but you will survive.  You can handle it, because Jesus is with you.  He is your shield and your protector.  There is nothing anyone else can say or do to you that can matter more than Jesus.  There is a catch… you must be patient.  This may not happen overnight.  You may very well have to suffer indignation and mistreatment for a while… and it may seem like an eternity.  But God will NOT leave you hanging.  He will bless you… and use your Discipleship and faithfulness.  He will honor those who honor Him with their obedience, steadfastness and commitments.
 
Last night, I read through my prayer journal for the last year.  I noted the many requests I had placed before God… for people to be healed – physically and emotionally… for this one or that to get a job or a restored relationship… for countless children…for some dear souls to be allowed to enter Heaven…and more.  I made a list of some of the requests that God answered… and I took notice of how He answered.  Most of the time, His answer was at least a little bit different than my request… but it was always perfect.  The timing was better… the outcome was impeccable…the response made more sense and had a more positive impact overall.
 
So why do I doubt?  Why do I try to impose my timetable?  Why can’t I be patient and trust God in all things?  Why do I worry that for one minute, He might allow a hair on my head to perish?  Why would we ever fear following Jesus?  I know the answer… our own human frailties and the inroads these provide for Satan to get a stronghold.  Because we all know that fear comes from the devil… it’s one of his favorite tools!
 
Today, my prayer is that God would make me more patient and trusting.  I am reminded of how faithful He is to care for me… and how I should be more faithful and trusting in my Discipleship.  Truly, nothing – and no one – matters more than Jesus.  The day we begin to understand this fully is the day we really arrive as Christians.  Where does this leave you?  Are you willing to put Jesus before everything – and everyone – else?  Have you arrived in your Spiritual journey? Are you even on your way?
 
©2013 Debbie Robus

No comments: