Daily Devotional for June 24, 2013

Galatians 3:28-29
In Christ’s family there can be no division into Jew and non-Jew, slave and free, male and female. Among us you are all equal. That is, we are all in a common relationship with Jesus Christ. Also, since you are Christ’s family, then you are Abraham’s famous “descendant,” heirs according to the covenant promises.
 
Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.
 
This morning I worked on some baby bibs for my little nephew, Nathan.  I thought about all of the cute clothes I make for my nieces, nephews, cousins and friends.  While clothes shouldn’t matter all that much… they do.  In our culture, children are judged by other children – and adults – even at an early age.  The child who is dirty and always dressed in stained, tattered or worn-out clothing is not valued (or treated as nicely) by some as much as children who look like they just stepped out of Baby Gap or even Old Navy!  This morning I also thought of another child of “ours” – Timothy Kodjo Owusu Frim, who lives in Ghana.  My husband and I have sponsored “Kodjo” through Compassion International since May 2006.
 
Kodjo will be 13 in October.  We exchange letters somewhere around once a month, and each year, we receive an updated picture of our guy.  I wish I could share the pictures with you.  Each time, Kodjo is dressed in clothing that is either undersized, oversized… or simply what many would consider a fashion faux pas.  I am pretty sure the jeans he was wearing in the last photo we received were designed for girls.  Yet he appears grateful to have this clothing… and I figure in his poor fishing village in Ghana, this is the norm rather than the exception.  Still, it breaks my heart… and I sometimes wish I could hop a plane to Africa and scoop this little man up and bring him home to live with us!
 
I know that this would not solve the world’s problems – or even be the right thing for Kodjo, who has a family (albeit a somewhat disjointed one) in Ghana.  But here’s what I know…at the end of the day, this tall, very-dark skinned brown-eyed child is just as precious as our little fair-skinned, blue-eyed Timothy and his brother Nathan.  This little boy holds the same importance in God’s eyes as our brown-eyed, curly-headed Zola.  The drawings from Kodjo that started out as stick figures and progressed over the years to detailed renderings of race cars and people demonstrate a mind that is growing and developing just like the creative brain of my red-headed, freckled-faced cousin Olivia.
 
When thinking of all of these children, the most important thing to remember is that they are all members of Christ’s family.  God doesn’t see them as black, white, male, female, poor, rich, intelligent or intellectually challenged, creative or “less-than-average.”  God loves each and every one of them equally.  I try to remind each of these children as often as possible how much I love them… and that God loves them even more!  I know that most of them are still too young to fully comprehend this… but someday, I pray that this concept will give each of them a tremendous sense of peace.
 
Take a minute to consider just how important you are to God.  Reflect upon the incredible sacrifices He made for you through the blood of His only Son – Jesus Christ.  Remind yourself that God planned for you from before the time of Abraham and Moses… He thought about you centuries before you were ever a living, breathing soul.  Let it soak in just how much God loves you…how deeply He cares about you and your every need.  If this doesn’t give you a sense of peace and calm even in the midst of whatever may be happening in your life today… I can’t imagine what will.
 
At the end of the day, I cannot truly change how I - or anyone I know and love - will be treated by others, based on appearance, race, gender, ethnicity, social or economic status, and more.  But I can take comfort in knowing that God sees none of this.  All He sees are His precious creations.  All He wants is to be loved by each one of us… and to grant us blessings, salvation and peace in return.  He wants us to “put on blinders” when we look at others … to only see members of His family and not the “labels” placed on them by man.
 
Whenever you feel you are being judged unfairly, remind yourself Whose you are.  Thank God for such amazing, unconditional love. Find peace and comfort in knowing that you belong to Him.  Look past the “outer coverings” of others and uncover the intrinsic value that God sees within them, as well.  Offer His grace and peace to each person you encounter…and allow harmony a chance to prosper in all of us.
 
©2013 Debbie Robus

No comments: