Daily Devotional for June 3, 2013

Romans 2:3-4
Do you really think God won’t punish you, when you behave exactly like the people you accuse?  You surely don’t think much of God’s wonderful goodness or of his patience and willingness to put up with you. Don’t you know that the reason God is good to you is because he wants you to turn to him?
 
Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.
 
“I may have my faults, but at least I’m not as bad as So-and-So!”  How many times have you heard a version of this… or uttered something similar yourself?  We all tend to think we are not as bad as the next guy, when the truth is that we are ALL sinners and in need of God’s patience, grace, mercy, and forgiveness.
 
I’ll admit… I get frustrated with a few people and wonder why they cannot see things as I do.  Why can’t they realize that they need Jesus?  Why don’t they understand that their behaviors are giving the devil ample reasons to dance?  Why won’t they change and behave better?  And then I hear God’s voice asking me, “Why won’t you do the same things?”  And I am embarrassed… ashamed… and humbled.
 
I am so thankful that God is patient with me.  I’m beyond thrilled that He wants me to turn to Him.  At a recent funeral, my dear pastor friend preached from Psalm 139, which says in verses 7 and 8:  “I can never escape from your Spirit! I can never get away from your presence! If I go up to heaven, you are there; if I go down to the grave, you are there!”  He explained that in the Hebrew translation of that last verse, it says… “If I go up to heaven, YOU!  If I go down to the grave, YOU!”  In other words, wherever we are, GOD is THERE… waiting for us… desiring us…wanting to forgive us and set us on the right path again.
 
The next time you start to compare your sins and shortcomings to those of another, remember these passages in Romans and Psalms.  Remind yourself that the things you judge others for are no worse than your own offenses. In this case, trying to shine a spotlight on others actually may bring your own life front and center!  God shakes His head at this…and someday, He will remind us of our accusations and attempts to shift blame and focus.  Don’t you want to do all you can to make His list of such misdeeds as short as possible?
 
Don’t you want to turn to God and spend your time in His presence… to recognize His company… to bask in His glory?  When was the last time you thanked God for his patience and mercy over your life?  When was the last time you acknowledged that wherever you go, He is there… and praised Him for such grace and forgiveness?  Isn’t this a perfect time to tell God how much you love Him… and to thank Him for loving you?  Are you ready to quit blaming others for your mistakes and fully acknowledge God?  Will this be the day you begin?
 
©2013 Debbie Robus

No comments: