Daily Devotional for June 5, 2013

Romans 5:3-5
There’s more to come: We continue to shout our praise even when we’re hemmed in with troubles, because we know how troubles can develop passionate patience in us, and how that patience in turn forges the tempered steel of virtue, keeping us alert for whatever God will do next. In alert expectancy such as this, we’re never left feeling shortchanged. Quite the contrary—we can’t round up enough containers to hold everything God generously pours into our lives through the Holy Spirit!

 
Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.
 
This morning, I attended the funeral of a man I have known since we were children, growing up a couple of blocks apart.  I hugged his mom and dad, his sister and brother, cousins and in-laws…all of whom are grieving their loss.  I understand the sadness of losing a brother.  I cannot imagine the heartache of losing a son… watching him die by inches from an insidious brain cancer, as these parents did. There were dozens of people who came to offer their condolences and remember this man… to offer support to this family.  It’s one of the neat things about living in a small town like ours… we come together to uplift one another at times like these.
 
But as I looked around the chapel, I saw countless people who are “hemmed in with troubles.”  Parents who are concerned about children…families plagued by drug addiction, divorce, and dissention…others who are grieving their own losses… those who are caring for the aged, infirm, and some with dementia.  And yet, I looked at the smiles on their faces… the hugs, handshakes and pats on the back we all shared… and I realized that virtually every person there is living with alert expectancy.  In the midst of their grief and challenges, most of these people are trusting God to pour into their lives more blessings than they could possibly amass containers to hold!
 
To realize even this was a blessing to me!  To see so many people who are anticipating what God will do next in their lives gave me inspiration!  To live among so many people who have continued to shout praises to God even while facing such trials and adversities motivates me to be more patient… to focus on what God will do with the tests that come my way rather than concentrating on present difficulties.  I am reminded of the common catch-phrase my friend’s pastor shared today… one he said my friend ended almost every conversation with – “How can I help you today?”
 
Imagine if we lived with such confidence that God was going to “trouble our troubles” and use them for good that we developed a passionate patience.  What if we were able to face any circumstance in our lives with the attitude and this question for others - “How can I help you today?”   My guess is that we would never have enough buckets to contain all of the blessings God would pour out on us!  It’s a chance I am willing to take… a “leap of faith and patience” I am eager to make.  I know that troubles will come… there will be days when I question it all and get discouraged.  But I have seen too many examples of passionate patience not to believe in its power… and God’s power to produce blessings out of trials and turmoil.  I’m ready to shout praises and operate with “alert expectancy.”  And I’m getting my containers ready… are you?
 
©2013 Debbie Robus

No comments: