Daily Devotional for June 9, 2013

1 Corinthians 14:33
For God is not a God of disorder but of peace, as in all the meetings of God’s holy people.
 
Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
 
After attending a Contemporary Worship service at our church for more than a decade, my husband and I recently returned to the more traditional worship service that is held in the “third hour” each Sunday.  We did this primarily so that my great-nephew, Timothy, and his sister Zola could attend Sunday school and nursery during that time period.  But we have found that the “fit” is much better for all of us.  This is not a criticism of Contemporary Worship.  I participated as a member of that service’s Praise Team for eight years and even filled in as an interim leader of the team for many weeks one year.  I love the casual atmosphere that seems to encourage some to more freely participate in worship.
 
But I found myself missing the peace and order of traditional worship… the way the old hymns quietly moved me with their words and rich tradition.  I discovered that more of the pastor’s sermon resonates with me in the still calm of our church’s sanctuary.  The choir’s anthems and the truly “divine” preludes and offertories presented by our pianist stir my soul… and sometimes move me to tears.
 
I recognize that people worship God in different ways… and at different speeds and volumes…and that’s okay.  But I wonder… how often are we missing God – at least to a degree – because there is too much chaos and not enough peace in our lives?  How often do we really sit still and listen for God?  When was the last time you grabbed a cup of coffee (or your favorite beverage) and your Bible… and retreated to a quiet area to just sit still for a few minutes and let God speak to you?  How often do you take a few minutes to pour out your heart to God… to talk to Him like you would your best friend... to tell Him all of your joys and your heartaches?
 
My question for all of us today is this… “Can we simply stop all of the noise and movement for a few minutes and truly worship God?”  Can you give Him your full, undivided attention for even a little while?  What do you suppose would happen if you stopped and basked in the peace and order of God?  How much more do you think you might glean from His messages to you?
 
There are times to raise your hands… to shout and dance in worship of God.  And there are times when we need to sit still… to revel in the order of peace.  Do you have a healthy balance of both in your life?   Are you willing to find out what could happen if you did?
 
©2013 Debbie Robus

No comments: