Daily Devotional for July 1, 2013

Isaiah 12:2
I trust you to save me, Lord God, and I won’t be afraid. My power and my strength come from you, and you have saved me.”
 
Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.
 
I’d like to explain a little about how these devotionals come together.  Over the last few years as I’ve look at what is going on in our world and in my own life, God has shown me timely “themes”… integrity, excuses, grace and mercy, patience, peace, and many others.  For each theme, I search for scriptures that speak to these topics and create an outline.  Each day, I look at the outline and select the next scripture reference on the list.  Over and again, I am amazed at how the particular verse for that day is exactly what was needed…how God’s timing is indeed perfect!  These cannot be coincidence… a reference to childlike faith when I have just seen it from our four-year-old Timothy… a word of encouragement and strength when bombers attack the Boston marathon… and today’s words of God’s power and strength in the midst of human tragedies in our country - and locally.
 
Over the weekend, 19 firefighters in Arizona perished.  On our own lake, two young adults drowned while on a weekend outing.  And I bet you could cite other incidents – deaths, failing health and personal accidents, relationship troubles, challenges and trials of all sorts that may not be “tragic” per se… but are consequential enough to cause you distress or dismay.  What are we to think?  How do we react?  The Bible tells us very clearly in Isaiah 12:2 to trust the LORD to save us and not to be afraid… to find our strength – and our peace – in Him.
 
My church's Bishop, Gary Mueller, writes a daily “note” on Facebook.  Today’s was titled “Right Smack Dab in the Middle of Life”.  Were his topic/comments a coincidence?  I think not!  He says in part, “Life happens and, when it does, it's often painful, overwhelming and devastating. When it does, it can be tempting to give up, grow cynical and look out only for yourself. But that doesn't work. In fact, it never works. But there is something that does - join hands with God to deal with it.”
 
When we join hands with God, He gives us His power and strength to handle whatever comes.  We have already seen evidence that God is surrounding grieving families with people who care for them… other family members, friends, believers across the nation who are lifting all involved in prayer, and even rescue crews and law enforcement personnel who are sacrificing their time and risking their own lives to recover the bodies. If we will turn to God, He will supply us with whatever we need to face illness, injuries, losses, and stresses of every kind.
 
I can tell you firsthand that it is entirely possible to experience peace in the midst of tremendous heartache and chaos.  I will also tell you that I didn’t get here overnight… nor am I any sort of an expert in this department!  I still have times when I fall short – and in the words of author Lysa TerKeurst*, I “come unglued!”  As a teacher, I learned that repetition is key… most students learn best when concepts are taught via drills.  I discovered that effective lessons have a beginning, middle and end.  The point should be presented initially, reinforced in the middle, and reviewed in closing.  My journey has been filled with “faith builders”…lessons and tests in which the point that God will save me - that He will give power and strength to handle anything and everything - has been drilled into my heart and mind over and again.
 
So today, I encourage you to study Isaiah 12:2, and let it settle deeply within your heart.  Hear God’s voice in this passage as He calls upon you to join hands with Him and let His power, strength – and His peace – fill your heart.  Do not fear or dread life’s challenges.  Instead, rest in the LORD and trust Him to save you… and fill you with a sense of calm and confidence.  Remember… God’s got this!  Won’t you reach out and take His hand?
 
©2013 Debbie Robus
 
*Unglued, by Lysa TerKeurst - ©2012 Zondervan Press

No comments: