Daily Devotional for July 20, 2013

July 20 ~ Jeremiah 33:6
Then someday, I will heal this place and my people as well, and let them enjoy unending peace.
 
Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.
 
About this time three years ago, my grandmother received an invitation to the 101st birthday party for one of her lifelong friends, Mrs. Lois Taylor.  She asked me to take her to the party.  I’ll be honest… that was about the LAST thing I wanted to do with my Sunday, but I knew this was important to Mam-ma, so I agreed to go.  When we arrived, I got Mam-ma settled next to Mrs. Lois and began to snap pictures of them.  Soon, the buffet line formed, and I filled a plate for Mam-ma… then got back in line to fill my own plate.  A man approached me and said something to the effect of, “So… what’s your story?”  He gestured in wide circles to indicate he was referring to my presence with my grandmother, the picture taking… and basically asked, “Why are you here?” 
 
I explained that I had brought my grandmother… and told of her connection to Mrs. Lois.  This guy explained that he had brought his dad from Oklahoma… Mrs. Lois’ brother, Grimm.  We stood and talked… and talked… and talked pretty much through lunch.  He asked questions and told me about himself.  His name was Mich Magness… he was Mrs. Lois’ nephew.  He said he was a gerontologist for the Oklahoma Department of Health, and he asked questions about my caregiving for Mam-ma… and (at that time) Timothy.  He provided valuable insights about eldercare, and I could see that he was someone who understood my situation – and empathized.  Mich is one of those guys you just instantly like.
 
So the following summer, I didn’t mind when Mam-ma asked me to take her to Mrs. Lois’ 102nd birthday party.  I visited with Mich again, and I gave him a card with the link to my blog about the Sandwich Generation and my experiences caring for my grandmother and helping to care for Timothy and his siblings.  Mich quickly became one of my biggest supporters, and he responded often to my posts on Facebook about my blog.  He shared my blog with HIS contacts.  He gave me great advice – and comfort at times – and he offered me tremendous encouragement and empathy when Mam-ma died last spring.
 
Mich always had something to say… until sometime in early June.  And suddenly, his posts on Facebook stopped.  There were no messages… no comments… nothing.  I soon learned that Mich had suffered some sort of “episode” while lecturing in Oklahoma City, and tests had revealed a malignant brain tumor.  I exchanged private messages on Facebook with Mich on June 24th.  I wanted him to know that I knew what was happening… and that I was praying.  His last message said, “I’m ok.  Thanks for caring.”  Mich’s cousin has been updating me, and when she saw him last week, he could barely make conversation.  He has glioblastoma… a brain cancer with almost a 100% mortality rate… and his is apparently progressing quickly.
 
A year ago, I had never even heard of glioblastoma… or GBM for short.  Then the newlywed husband of a young woman I know was diagnosed with GBM… and after that, my childhood neighbor, Donnie was diagnosed.  The young husband is doing well and responding to treatments for now… Donnie died in June.  This is supposed to be an extremely rare form of cancer… yet I know three men who have “battled the beast”, as the wife of the young man calls it.  And I find myself asking why three vibrant, productive men have been stricken with such a horrible affliction.
 
I’ve particularly thought about Mich lately… about all of the people he has helped… about how he supports his church and the school in his hometown of Okemah, Oklahoma… about his wife, sons and grandchildren – and his 93-year-old dad.  I’ve reminded myself about all of the great advice Mich has given me… much of which I have shared with others on my blog.  I have marveled at the lives he has touched… and wondered why his efforts are being squelched by GBM.
 
I’ll admit… I don’t have answers.  But I do have some insights.  I’ve seen the posts on Facebook for Mich.  Even though he probably cannot read them, people are reaching out and sharing how much he has helped them.  I know his wise instruction via seminars, one-on-one counseling, great advice, and championing of causes great and small will be his legacy. I know that Mich is a Christian who loves Jesus and has shared His Good News with countless others. I know that none of us is promised tomorrow, so we better make the most of today. I know that healing sometimes comes in death… and Mich will be healed.  And I know that God will give Mich – and those of us who have grown to love him – unending peace.
 
I don’t know what your situation is today… what may be troubling you or causing you to feel unsettled – or even unsure.  But I do know that God is in the business of making a way where we see none… healing people and circumstances…bringing peace where all we see is turmoil and chaos.  In the words of the last message I received from my friend Mich, “I’m okay.  Thanks for caring.”  I do care about my friends and the families of all three of these men.  I care about you, as well.  And I am telling you… “God’s got this!”  He cherishes you far more any mere mortal ever could… and He stands ready to meet your every need, to heal you, and to give you unending peace.  All we have to do is trust Him.  Is that too much to ask?
 
©2013 Debbie Robus

No comments: