Daily Devotional for July 21, 2013

Job 5:20-26
“In famine, he’ll keep you from starving,
    in war, from being gutted by the sword.
You’ll be protected from vicious gossip
    and live fearless through any catastrophe.
You’ll shrug off disaster and famine,
    and stroll fearlessly among wild animals.
You’ll be on good terms with rocks and mountains;
    wild animals will become your good friends.
You’ll know that your place on earth is safe,
    you’ll look over your goods and find nothing amiss.
You’ll see your children grow up,
    your family lovely and lissome as orchard grass.
You’ll arrive at your grave ripe with many good years,
    like sheaves of golden grain at harvest.

 
Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.
 
We got in the car after church, and I asked Timothy, “What did you learn today?”  He replied, “God keeps His promises.”  The children had heard the story of Noah today and how “he kept the animals safe from the water,” as Timothy related.  Over and again in the Bible, we read stories of how God kept – and keeps – His promises.  And here in Job 5, we read this once more.  Beginning in verse 8 of this chapter, we read… “If I were in your shoes, I’d go straight to God…I’d throw myself on the mercy of God. After all, he’s famous for great and unexpected acts; there’s no end to his surprises.”  Still, we doubt… we worry… we often live in a state of unsettled confusion. 
 
All around me today, I have been receiving messages reminding me to be thankful and grateful to God.  The Bishop’s post on Facebook this morning was a prayer of thanks… our pastor’s message was “Thanksgiving in July”… Timothy’s Bible lesson was on how God keeps His promises… this afternoon my husband and I attended the baptism of several children and adults…and this passage reminded me of all the things that God will do for me.  Surely my “lesson” for today is how to operate in gratitude… to find peace in trusting that God will take care of things for me.
 
So what do you say?  Are you thankful today for the countless ways God has blessed you… the awesome manner in which He meets your every need and keeps His promises?  Do you trust Him and find peace in the confidence that He is working 24/7 on your behalf?  Have you offered a prayer of gratitude to God today for loving you far above and beyond what you deserve?  Isn’t this a perfect time to do so?
 
©2013 Debbie Robus

No comments: