Daily Devotional for July 7, 2013

Isaiah 48:18
Oh, that you had listened to my commands!
Then you would have had peace flowing like a gentle river
    and righteousness rolling over you like waves in the sea.

 
Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
 
This morning as my husband helped Timothy into our car for church, he told him, “Climb up into the car, and I’ll strap you into your seat.”  Timothy turned to him and said, “Hush, and I will.”  Often lately, he tells us, “Stop talking so I can tell you something.”  We remind him gently that what he is saying is not polite… but we know in reason he is parroting what has been said to him… probably by one of his parents as they try to get him to listen to their commands!
 
My mother shared with me that she was out in her yard and thought she heard someone calling to her.  At first, she decided it was neighbor children.  Then she realized it was an elderly man who lives up the street. He had fallen in his yard, was unable to get up… and he was calling out for help.  She rushed to assist other neighbors in getting the man up out of his yard.  She said, “Had I not been outside, I wouldn’t have heard his calls.”
 
The message of this passage for us today is, “Hush… and listen to God!”  If we will only stop the “noise” of our lives and listen for God’s voice, we will discover many lessons and significant points He is trying to deliver.  Too often, we hear God… but we are so distracted or so busy with our own agendas that we do not truly listen to what He is saying.  When we hear God’s commands – and heed them – He fights our battles…He covers us in justice and decency…He grants us peace.
 
There are times when we need to stop talking and listen… even to a four-year-old or an elderly neighbor.  We must always “hush and listen” to God… if we want to fully serve Him and enjoy His blessings and peace.  I don’t know about you, but I’m taking this scripture passage as a gentle reminder from Him to do exactly that.  Won’t you join me?
 
©2013 Debbie Robus

No comments: