Daily Devotional for November 5, 2013

John 10:22-30
It was now winter, and Jesus was in Jerusalem at the time of Hanukkah, the Festival of Dedication. He was in the Temple, walking through the section known as Solomon’s Colonnade. The people surrounded him and asked, “How long are you going to keep us in suspense? If you are the Messiah, tell us plainly.”
 
Jesus replied, “I have already told you, and you don’t believe me. The proof is the work I do in my Father’s name. But you don’t believe me because you are not my sheep. My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one can snatch them away from me, for my Father has given them to me, and he is more powerful than anyone else.
 
No one can snatch them from the Father’s hand. The Father and I are one.”
 
Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
 
Today would be the 101st birthday of my Mam-ma Polly ,were she still living.  As I looked back through my prayer journal, I noted day after day for more than year, I asked… “Can’t Mam-ma come Home, LORD?  She is so ready.”  And on March 8, 2013, God whispered the name of his precious sheep, and she answered.  All of the time I was asking this, I knew that He would answer…in His time – not mine.  I truly respect the sovereignty of God… the wisdom of His plans and timing.  And I believe that He heard my requests…and probably smiled as He whispered, “The timing was not perfect… until now.”
 
So when I received news this morning that the 32-year-old son of a childhood friend had died last night in an accident, I was once again reminded of how different God’s plans are from ours sometimes… and how important it is that we listen to His voice. I attended the baptism of this young man almost a decade ago.  And I found his name peppered throughout my prayer journal entries in the years since that day.  I truly believe that God answered my prayers to meet this person’s needs… just not in the way I had anticipated.  And again, I am confident in the knowledge that He rests in the arms of Jesus this day… along with my beloved Mam-ma Polly and countless others – all sheep who know His voice.
 
I know that NO ONE can snatch these dear souls from Jesus…they are safe and protected in His arms… and that gives me tremendous comfort.  I am learning that we are not going to always understand why God does what He does… or why He does it in a certain manner.  But when we listen for His voice… when we know Him and follow Him, the outcome will be perfect – Eternal Life with Him where we never perish.  NO ONE will be able to take us from Him…no harm can truly ever come to us when we are Jesus’ sheep.
 
The question becomes… “Do you hear the voice of Jesus?”  Does He know you… and do you follow Him?  Do you trust His power…His plans for you and the manner in which He executes them?  Do you truly respect God?  Isn’t it time to put your faith in the One who is more powerful than anyone else?  Isn’t it time to stop trying to tell God how things ought to go… and trust His wisdom and power to bring about the most perfect results?  Don’t you want to rest safely in the arms of Jesus someday?
 
This is the perfect day to stop and say, “LORD Jesus, I surrender to You…to Your will, Your power, and Your plans.  I respectfully trade my desires for Yours.  I humbly honor Your perfection and thank You for the love and protection You offer me… both now and for all Eternity.”  Have you prayed a prayer like this one?  Have you made Jesus your Great Shepherd? Can you say with confidence that you are one of His sheep?  Isn’t it time you were?
 
©2013 Debbie Robus

No comments: