Daily Devotional for November 9, 2013

Hebrews 13:7-8
Appreciate your pastoral leaders who gave you the Word of God. Take a good look at the way they live, and let their faithfulness instruct you, as well as their truthfulness. There should be a consistency that runs through us all. For Jesus doesn’t change—yesterday, today, tomorrow, he’s always totally himself.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.

For several years, I taught a junior high Sunday school class at our church and worked with youth programs.  One of my former students is getting married in a few weeks, and I recently attended a shower for him and his fiancĂ©e.  He sent me a note of thanks afterward.  And in it, he said, “I was incredibly blessed to have a Sunday school teacher who cared so much about me and my classmates."

I was deeply touched by this sweet comment.  Most Sundays, I came home and spent the first hour telling Greg about the kids and how I felt they didn’t listen and were, at times, wildly disrespectful to each other – and to me.  He would ask, “If you feel you aren’t accomplishing anything, why are you going back?”  I am not sure I even knew why I continued, except that others kept telling me, “You can’t see it now – and you might never see it – but you are planting seeds.  God is using you to make a difference in the lives of young people.”  And while comments or notes like the one I received recently are rare, I do sense a lasting bond with many of these students who are now young adults.

It’s anyone’s guess why some of these kids kept coming each Sunday.  Many did not have parents who attended church, so they were not made to attend.  I don’t think it was just the candy… or even the camaraderie of their friends.  I have to believe that in some way, they were hungry to learn how God could help them navigate the choppy waters of teenage life… how His word held answers for many of their questions.  I tried to make the scripture lessons relevant and relatable… and to let the kids know that I truly did care about them.  Now, when one of them notices – even in retrospect - I am incredibly blessed.

I am betting that you have – or had – at least one spiritual leader who has greatly blessed you… someone who guided you and shared the word of God with you… a person who has prayed with you and for you - and encouraged you with a message of hope in the LORD.  Have you acknowledged them?  Have you treated them with respect and gratitude for their care?  I can tell you that they didn’t do these things in order to receive a pat on the back or a note of thanks.  They shared God’s love and wisdom with you because they felt Him calling them to do this.  But this scripture passage says that we should acknowledge the efforts of pastoral care… appreciate their care… and emulate their example.

There have been many such “teachers” in my life… and I have tried to thank them individually along the way. I know I will miss some here, but I must certainly mention a few of my Sunday school teachers - Mrs. Gloria, Mrs. Ila Mae, and Mrs. Caid; my mother and my Mam-ma Polly; my former pastor, Bro. John; my dear friend in Christ – Glenda; my “birthday buddy” and mentor, MawMac; my “brothers” and lifelong friends, Stuart, J.R. and John... and of course, my partner in life, Greg.  These people have nurtured me and prayed with me… encouraged me in God’s word… and lived by example. I have a deep and abiding love and respect for each of them. 

I could add countless other examples of Godly wisdom and service who have influenced me throughout the years – and still do today! Surely you have your own list. Who has God used to guide you?  Who do you look to as an example of Christ’s love in action?  Who do you respect as a Christian disciple?  Have you shown them?  Have you thanked them for caring for you… both directly and indirectly, by how you are living your own life as a Christian?  This is the month when people are more clearly focused on gratitude and thanks for all kinds of blessings in their lives.  Wouldn’t it be the perfect time to start showing your gratitude and respect to your pastoral leaders?  Where do you need to begin?

©2013 Debbie Robus

No comments: