Daily Devotional for November 8, 2013

Matthew 25:40
“And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!"

 
Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
 
There is a lot of talk in the news about the Miami Dolphins linebacker Richie Incognito and his hazing of rookie lineman Jonathan Martin.  There are people who are backing up Martin’s claims that Incognito took things too far… and others who are defending Incognito and saying this was blown out of proportion… that Martin “broke the rookie code” and should have handled this internally rather than going public with it.  Either way, people have been disrespected… perhaps even bullied...and emotions are running high on both sides of the dilemma.
 
More than once, I have repeated the words of my pastor… “There is a heartache on every pew.” Several experiences in my life have left me with a mixed bag of emotions… confusion, frustration, anger, deep sadness, disappointment, betrayal, heartbreak - and an incredible weariness.  And maybe you have felt the same way.  In some cases, I’ve wanted to raise my hands and say, “That’s it!’  I’m DONE!”  Sometimes it seems as though it would be so much easier to just walk away and let things happen… to turn our backs, move ahead with our lives, and let the chips fall where they may.
 
What keeps me from throwing in the towel?  Every time I get even remotely close, I think of Jesus.  Each and every time, He reminds me that I do this same thing to Him all the time.  And He’s.Still.Here.
 
I am humbled and ashamed when I think that I have disrespected Jesus after all He has so generously and mercifully done for me.  When I think that for one instant I frustrated Him, made Him angry, or caused Him a deep and penetrating sadness or heartache, I am incredibly grieved.  To even imagine that I spoke unkindly – and my comments stung Jesus and broke His heart - is almost more than I can bear.  To think that I could accept all that Jesus offers me and then treat Him in a manner that leaves him confused and asking, “Where did THAT come from?  What in the world is she thinking?” makes me incredibly remorseful, embarrassed and ashamed.  And still, He is here…doing what He does best – loving… forgiving… restoring…blessing.  So how could I do any less in the situations that I encounter?
 
Don’t misunderstand… it hurts to be disrespected… and bullying at any age is simply not cool.  None of us like to be mistreated, betrayed, or taken for fools.  Everyone has feelings… even big ole pro football linebackers!  Just because a person is at a certain stage in life or a “rookie” at something does not give others license to ridicule and torment.  Just because someone is educated, has money and/or a respectable position - or seems to have everything in life going his/her way doesn’t mean that this person is numb to disrespect.  Just because a person operates in faith and appears to be able to handle life’s challenges rather easily doesn’t mean that he/she will not be affected by mistreatment or disrespect.
 
We all need to take a long hard look at our daily living and our relationships with others.  Where have we disrespected one another… and in doing so, disrespected Jesus?  Where have we mistreated someone with our words and/or actions… and done the same thing to Jesus in the bargain?  How have we been angered, frustrated, betrayed, and disappointed?  How have we done these things to others… and to Jesus?
 
How have we responded to the disrespect of others?  Does it fall in line with how Jesus treats us?  Do we offer compassion, forgiveness, grace and mercy – even when it isn’t requested, much less deserved?  Are we willing to love unconditionally, just as He does? Or do we tuck tail and run at the first sign that things are getting rough?  When do we say, “Enough is enough?” and walk away… and when do we say, “Maybe God can show me how to repair and restore this situation or relationship.”?
 
I don’t know what is right in every situation… and I certainly don’t know what is the right answer to the apparent problem with hazing in the NFL!  But I do know that we serve a God of second chances to the Nth degree…a God who continues to love us even when we disrespect Him.  And this keeps me going.
 
We must make every effort to be respectful of others in all situations.  At the same time, we must continue to work at showing our respect for Jesus… and that includes working through the frustrating situations that each of us encounters.  It’s a tall order… and often, it’s not a whole lot of fun!  We were not promised “free and easy” as Christians… but the blessings that we enjoy each and every day far outweigh any burdens.  Don’t you agree?
 
I pray that you will join me in asking God to instill in your heart a newfound desire to seek ways to operate with respect… toward others AND toward Him.  It may not change how everyone treats us in return, but at least we will know that we are honoring Jesus and His amazing love for us in our own daily living.  If we are certain that we are pleasing Him, surely He will give us the courage and strength to handle the rest.  Isn’t it worth a shot?

©2013 Debbie Robus

No comments: