Daily Devotional for December 1, 2013

Hebrews 11:1
Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see.
 
Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
 
This morning, the Facebook post of a friend reminded me that I had a few more Christmas decorations that I had not yet placed on display.  I know…hard to imagine, for those who know me… but I opened a drawer upstairs and found the miniature tree with “nativity” ornaments… a few decorations for Greg’s office… and one more item - a golden school bus ornament.  Last Christmas, my Mam-ma Polly’s pastor, Bro. JR – who was like a grandson to her – gave her a painted glass “school bus” ornament.  My grandmother was a school bus driver in our community for eleven years.  That bus was a nod to days when she was vibrant and active – and in my mind – able to do virtually anything! 
 
When Mam-ma died in March, we placed the school bus with her until after the funeral… and I brought it home to hang on our tree… fulfilling a promise I made to her last Christmas that I would hang it each year and think of her.  And hang it I did – this morning, alongside the handmade doily ornament that holds a photograph of my grandparents and my dad when he was a boy.
 
This was a bittersweet moment for me… but also one filled with hope.  Because I believe in the promises of God… because I operate fully in the faith that Jesus came to earth to live and die for me – and that I will be with Him forever in Heaven someday… because I know that my Mam-ma Polly and countless others who believed wait there for me… I can have hope.  I can anticipate a time that I truly cannot “see”… but most certainly am assured will happen.  And this fills me with joy.
 
We all know the “let-down” of realizing that another Christmas season has come and gone.  For many of us, the anticipation of Christmas Day will build over the next twenty-five days… until many of us are in nothing short of a total frenzy.  And by December 31st, Christmas will all but be a distant memory for most.  Decorations will come down, the gifts will be put away, diets will commence, and we will be “over it” and on to the next big event.
 
We can anticipate another holiday season in eleven months.  But ultimately, Christmas Days will cease for each of us – at least in the earthly sense.  I will admit that I am a big kid when it comes to Christmas.  Truthfully, I’m hanging my hopes and dreams on a “Christmas” that never ends… the promise I have been given of endless days in the presence of Jesus – celebrating Him with family members, friends, and “brothers and sisters in Christ” who will join me at His feet again and again.  I cannot see/touch/feel this… but I believe in it all the same.
 
Until my earthly days are over, I will celebrate Christmas in the traditional manner.  I will hang the school bus ornament and others…decorate for the holidays… bake and shop, wrap gifts, send cards, and sing Christmas carols.  And I will do my best to live in a manner that honors the promises of Jesus… the incredible sacrifices He has made for me.  I will share His Good News with others and encourage them to share in my confidence that an eternity in Jesus’ presence is a part of our future. In essence, I will try to live like each earthly Christmas might be my last… and I say this without sorrow or trepidation.
 
I have faith that heaven awaits me…hope that it will actually happen… and assurance about my eternal future. Do you?
 
©2013 Debbie Robus

No comments: